Speculative fiction in general:
- James Whitbrock shares the science fiction that makes him hopeful.
- Jason Sanford shares his appreciation for the space opera subgenre.
- Malka Older, Ada Palmer and Robert Charles Wilson discuss if a real utopia is possible.
- Foz Meadows talks about the relationship between speculative fiction and politics.
- Martin Cahill shares eight portal fantasies that transport you into another world.
- L.E. Modesitt Jr. shares five books featuring improbable twists on history and myth.
- Justina Ireland criticises racist worldbuilding tropes in the YA SFF novels The Continent and Carve the Mark.
- Kate Elliott discusses the problematic stereotype of the savage other in fiction.
- Obsidian Wings discusses Elena Ferrante, Mary Sues and internalised misogyny.
- Kelly Faircloth reports about the rise of the "bodice-ripper" type historical romance in the 1970s and its link to feminism.
- Storm Constantine talks about the invisibility of women writing science fiction and fantasy.
- Bence Pintér shares a report about the status of science fiction and fantasy in Hungary.
- Nisi Shawl shares her appreciation for Mama Day by Gloria Naylor.
- Martin Cahill shares his appreciation for the short fiction of Shirley Jackson.
- Nancy Burns-Fusaro profiles C.S.E. Cooney.
- Sarah Gailey shares her appreciation for the character of Hermione Granger from Harry Potter.
- Peter Watts shares his thoughts on Arrival and the Ted Chiang story it is based on.
- Laura Bickle shares her appreciation for Westworld.
- Katharine Trendacosta declares that those who focus on solving the mysteries of the TV adaptation of Westworld are missing the point of the show.
- Camestros Felapton shares his thoughts on the Doctor Who spin-off Class.
- Beth Elderkin explains why we should be watching the Brazilian SF series 3%.
- Jen Chung reports about more problematic Nazi imagery in ads for season 2 of The Man in the High Castle.
- Ed Oswald shares the best episodes from every Star Trek series.
- Becky Chambers shares her appreciation for the TV series Farscape.
- Leigh Butler shares her appreciation for the 1986 movie The Golden Child.
- Aaron Pound shares his appreciation for the animated TV special A Charlie Brown Christmas from 1965.
- Pornokitsch asks why Judge Dredd is so damn good even after almost forty years.
- The Geekiary wonders whether Marvel has just confirmed that Bucky Barnes is bisexual.
- Actor Peter Vaughan, who played Maester Aemon in Game of Thrones, has died aged 93.
- Actor Van Williams, best remembered for playing the Green Hornet in the eponymous TV series, has died aged 82.
- Astronaut John Glenn, the first American in space, has died aged 95.
Best of 2016 lists (and a look forward to 2017):
- Publishers Weekly shares its list of the best science fiction and fantasy of 2016.
- Library Journal shares its favourite science fiction and fantasy books of 2016.
- NPR shares their list of the best science fiction and fantasy books of 2016.
- Various Tor.com reviewers share their favourite books of 2016.
- Bookworm Blues share their favourite books of 2016.
- Bookworm Blues also shares their favourite audiobooks of 2016.
- Paul Weimer shares his five favourite SFF books of 2016.
- Fran Wilde shares her favourite works and people of 2016.
- Caitlin Bush looks forward to 11 science fiction novels that will define 2017.
- The winners of the 2016 Goodreads Choice Awards have been announced.
- The winner of the 2016 Rotsler Award has been announced.
- Jared Shurin remembers the Georgette Heyer Prize for historical fiction.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Kate Elliott attempts to answer the question "Is fantasy writing gendered?"
- E.P. Beaumont shares the Revolutionary Fluff Manifesto.
- Clayton Purdom shares a video explaining Dan Harmon's universal theory of storytelling.
- Rachel Thompson shares her four top tips to overcome fear of writing.
- Sarah Ash talks about her new novel Emperor of the Fireflies.
- A.C. Wise interviews A.M. Dellamonica.
- Locus interviews Eric Flint.
- Carl Slaughter interviews Kristine Kathryn Rusch.
- Carl Slaughter also interviews Kevin J. Anderson.
- Carl Slaughter also interviews Steve Davidson.
- Mieneke van der Salm interviews Edward Glover.
- Renay Williams reviews Babylon's Ashes by James S.A. Corey.
- Ana Grilo reviews The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin.
- Mieneke van der Salm reviews The Machinery by Gerrard Cowen.
- John Bardinelli reviews Last Year by Robert Charles Wilson.
- Ryan Skardal also reviews Last Year by Robert Charles Wilson.
- Mark Chitty reviews Horizon by Tabitha Lord.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews Die Dog or Eat the Hatchet by Adam Howe.
- Nancy Palmer reviews Fragment by Craig Russell.
- Thea James reviews Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston.
- Doris V. Sutherland reviews the winners of the 2016 Dragon Awards.
- The gender diverse pronouns special issue of the speculative magazine Capricious is looking for funding.
- Tales from the Loop, an RPG based on the art of Swedish science fiction artist Simon Stålenhag, is looking for funding.
- YA author Tristina Wright needs some help to cover medical expenses.
- SFF writer Katherine Kerr needs some help to rebuilt her career and care for her ill husband.
- Kevin Standalee shares some videos of SMOFCon 2016 in Rosemont, Illinois.
- Steve Vertlieb recalls the King Kong Sixtieth Anniversary Celebration in Chicago, Illinois.
Science and technology:
- Can we stop killer asteroids?
- How to recognise alien life when you find it.
- ESA plans to build a Mars rover.
- The Cassini space probe has sent back new photos of Saturn.
Free online fiction:
- "The Story of Kao Yu" by Peter S. Beagle at Tor.com.
- "The Cyborg, the Tinman, the Merchant of Death" by Rich Larson in Lightspeed.
- "They Breed Like Flies" by Jeff Walden in Compelling Science Fiction.
- "No One Really Knows" by Lionel Davoust, translated by Janice Friend, at SF in Translation.
- "The Green Knight's Wife" by Kat Howard in Uncanny Magazine.
- "All the Colors You Thought Were Kings" by Arkady Martine in Shimmer.
- "The Great Milo" by David Gerrold in Amazing Stories.
- "The Penelope Quingdom" by Aidan Moher in Mothership Zeta.
- "One Way Out" by Ethan Robinson.
- "Supervillain Apology Letter" by Drew Hayes.
Odds and ends:
- Watch a trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2.
- Watch a trailer for The Mummy.
- Watch a trailer for Spectral.