Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Ever the Hero (Eververse, Book 1) by Darby Harn

Release date: January 28, 2019
Subgenre: Superheroes

About Ever the Hero

 

Superheroes are big business. Imagine not being able to afford them. 

Kit Baldwin just wants to make rent. The only work she can find in the ruins of her devastated city is scavenging for alien technology. When she finds a powerful alien weapon, her discovery pays off more than she could have hoped: it draws the attention of the most powerful of the superhuman Empowered, Valene.

Valene hears everything, everywhere. She suffers for it, and as they begin a precipitous romance, Kit believes she can use the weapon she’s scavenged to mitigate Valene’s pain. If she can’t, Valene will retreat to the soundlessness of space. Without Valene’s compassion, the stricken city is left to the mercy of Valene’s ruthless father, who denies the assistance the city needs unless it can pay for it.

As Valene’s condition worsens, Kit becomes more desperate and unleashes the full power of the alien weapon. In an instant, she is transformed into a being of cosmic power. She can acquire the knowledge and energy of anything – or anyone – she touches.

 

Excerpt:

 

CHECK ONE: Empowered Powerless
     I bite my lip. “Is it a problem I don’t have any powers?”
     The woman from HR wrinkles her nose. Must be a problem. I can’t tell. I’m no good at interviews. I’m no good at people, which is unfortunate given how many of them there are. Focus. Check the box. An interview at Great Power is a big deal, even if it’s open. I should be grateful for the opportunity. I should be terrified, but I’m not. That part of me never got switched on. Maybe it never got installed. Doesn’t matter. I can’t afford to be afraid; I’ve got to find a job, and soon. If I don’t, Ma and I will be out on the street.
     “Generally, we employ Empowered,“ she says, and a stray lock of her hair levitates back in line with the rest. Telekinetic. Not telepathic, though; I probably wouldn’t have made it this far. “But some powerless work here. You can have superpowers, but not a brain.”
     “I have a brain,” I say. “Probably goes without saying.”
     “You’d be surprised.” She takes my application. “What is it you scrap and salvage?”
     Good thing she can’t read minds. “Anything.”
     A constant stream of people flows past me through the atrium of the Blackwood Building, one of the greatest engineering wonders in the world. The tower is a giant glass music box, all its floors, stairwells and elevator shafts exposed within a transparent shell free of any obvious architectural support. This woman frowning through my interview sees right through me, I think, but there’s no wonder.
     “You didn’t go to college?”
     I sit up straight. Smooth out the wrinkles in this blouse I thought was decent leaving the apartment, but now feels like someone else’s skin. “My dad died. My mom… I take care of her. It’s just the two of us. So a job here would be – ”
     “I don’t live over there,” she says, wiggling her fingers toward the west, “but I’d think at twenty-seven, you’d have a lot more experience than you do. Retail. Something.”
     I’ve loads of experience. Most of it doesn’t go on a resume. “Jobs are hard to come by across the river.”
     “Your accent. What is that?”
     My lips twist together. “My mother is Irish.”
     “I was going to say. I didn’t think there were, you know.” She wiggles her fingers again. “Black Irish.”
     “Do you have a pen? You’ll need to sign an NDA.”
     She smiles. Sort of. “What brought her over?”
     “I suppose she thought she was going to get a job here.”
     The woman puts on one of those smiles people wear, meant to convey sympathy. “What was your name again?”
     “Kit.”

 

Amazon Kindle | Amazon Paperback | B&N Paperback

 

About Darby Harn:


Darby Harn is the author of the forthcoming novel EVER THE HERO. His fiction appears in Strange Horizons, Interzone and other venues. He graduated from the University of Iowa and studied in the Irish Writing Program at Trinity College, in Dublin. 

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment