Sunday, June 26, 2022

More Modern Mythmakers: 25 Interviews with Horror and Science Fiction Writers and Filmmakers by Michael McCarty

 

Release date: June 24, 2022
Subgenre: Non-Fiction
 

About More Modern Mythmakers: 25 Interviews with Horror and Science Fiction Writers and Filmmakers:

 

More Modern Mythmakers features Horror, Science Fiction and Dark Fantasy’s most influential writers and filmmakers interviewed about the art and craft of their genres.

The 25 interviews include:
Steve Alten
Reggie Bannister
Terry Brooks
Charles de Lint
Dennis Etchison
John Everson
Alan Dean Foster
Ray Garton
Sephera Giron
Owl Goingback
Charles Grant
Nancy Holder
Paul Kane
Ronald Kelly
Joe Lansdale
Bentley Little
Jeff Long
Jonathan Maberry
Elizabeth Massie
Larry Niven
William Stout
Jeff Strand
Harry Turtledove
J.N. Williamson
Connie Willis

Foreword by Gerard Houarner
Afterword by Jeffrey Thomas


If you’re interested in books on writing, the horror genre, science fiction, famous authors, or even becoming a full time author, this book is a must-have.

More Modern Mythmakers is the sequel to 2015’s Modern Mythmakers by Michael McCarty, published by Crystal Lake Publishing.

Proudly represented by
Crystal Lake Publishing—Tales from the Darkest Depths.

 

Excerpt:

 

I hadn’t done a nonfiction book for awhile, but when I hit Haunted America up with the idea of doing a true ghost book called Ghosts of the Quad Cities, they eagerly agreed. For that book, I had to do several interviews with paranormal investigators, librarians, local historians and others. 

Ghosts of the Quad Cities was an Amazon bestseller when the book came out in 2019, and continued to sell very well in 2020 and 2021, still does.

Of course, I did a sequel called Eerie Quad Cities in 2021.

I got bitten again by the interview bug. And although it was about five years after the original Modern Mythmakers: 35 Interviews with Horror and Science Fiction Writers and Filmmakers, it continued to sell well over the years.

I hit Joe up again and this time he said yes.

When you dance, sometimes you stumble and fall. I had a couple of near misses with interviews. George Romero had a scheduled interview with me, but his manager got Central Standard Time and Mountain Time mixed up and ended up calling me an hour earlier when I wasn’t home. When I did get home, I had this message on my voicemail, “Hey, Mike, this is George Romero, are you there?”

I was very excited about interviewing Jennifer Tilly. Her PR guy said I could do the interview on Monday after she came back from being in Las Vegas over the weekend. The problem was, in Vegas she won some celebrity poker tournament and everybody under the sun wanted to interview her.

 I came close to interviewing Stephen King (although I did interview his son, Joe Hill once), Richard Laymon, Michael Crichton, Jeffrey Combs, Tom Savini, Ira Levin….

 I could go on, with other sad near misses of interviews that I didn’t get, but it’s too painful. I must stop.

On a more upbeat note:

When I was interviewing Ray Bradbury, he said one thing, to this day, I’ve taken to heart: “The best advice I would give new writers is write what you love.”

Thank you, Ray.

Modern Mythmakers and More Modern Mythmakers is my love letter to all my fans, friends, families, fellow writers and critics who have all been so incredibly nice to me for almost twenty years of writing books. 

One time a fellow writer asked me, “are you sad that you haven’t made a million dollars after writing fifty books?”

And I said, “Hell no. I have a million dollars worth of respect from everybody and that means more to me than any dollar signs do.”

The dance is almost finished. I feel very proud that I’ve interviewed some of the biggest names in the genre for Modern Mythmakers and More Modern Mythmakers. The music is drawing to a close. Thank you for being a great dance partner through the years, and thank you for supporting my books as well.

 

Michael McCarty, 2022

 

Amazon

 

About Michael McCarty: 

Michael McCarty has been a professional writer since 1983, and the author of over fifty books of fiction, including I Kissed A Ghoul, Frankenstein’s Mistress, Dark Cities: Dark Tales, A Little Help From My Fiends, Liquid Diet & Midnight Snack, Dark Duets, Dracula Transformed and Other Bloodthirsty Tales (with Mark McLaughlin), Lost Girl Of The Lake (with Joe McKinney), the vampire Bloodless series: Bloodless, Bloodlust and Bloodline (with Jody LaGreca). He is a five-time Bram Stoker Finalist, and in 2008 won the David R. Collins’ Literary Achievement Award from the Midwest Writing Center.

His nonfiction books include: Esoteria-Land: The Authentic, Eclectic and Eccentric Nonfiction of Michael McCarty, Ghosts of the Quad Cities (with Mark McLaughlin), Eerie Quad Cities (with John Brassard Jr.), and Modern Mythmakers: 35 Interviews With Horror and Science Fiction Writers and Filmmakers which features interviews with Ray Bradbury, Dean Koontz, John Carpenter, Richard Matheson, Elvira, Linnea Quigley, John Saul, Joe McKinney, and many more.

Michael McCarty lives in Rock Island, Illinois with his wife Cindy and pet rabbit Yeti. 


Website | Facebook | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment