Monday, March 6, 2023

Interview with Dale Griffin author of The Last Lion of Karkov




Today it gives the Speculative Fiction Showcase great pleasure to interview Dale Griffin whose novel The Last Lion of Karkov  is our featured new release on 14 March 2023.


Your debut novel The Last Lion of Karkov comes out on March 14. What inspired you to become a writer and above all a fantasy writer?


I owe my first love of writing to a wonderful advanced writing class in high school. My university studies and career went in a different direction, but writing never left me. It has always been a way of relieving stress. To answer why I write fantasy—it is because of the freedom it allows in crafting a story. You can write whatever you please without having to match up to any reality.


You and your wife both love travelling, especially in Europe. Were there any particular places that inspired The Last Lion of Karkov?


Absolutely! Lucenze was inspired by Tuscany; Verseine by Paris. Iceland inspired Karkov’s lupine fields and black-sand beaches. Ruined abbeys like in Whitby and San Galgano inspired the romantic setting of Lea Abbey. Other influences come from the walls of York, the Vienna Operahouse, the architecture of Prague, and the mercantile history of Amsterdam. Natalia’s run atop a city jammed full of tin roofs comes from a trip to Cartagena, Colombia. 


The novel tells the story of twin sisters in a male-dominated kingdom, Jillian and Natalia. One is destined to be its first female monarch, the other to be married off to one of her father’s allies. But not everything goes according to plan...What can you tell us about Jillian and Natalia and how their characters evolve?


Natalia has this grand sweeping character arc that stays central to the story where she goes from spoiled princess to an inspiring leader. While Natalia’s evolution is obvious, some readers might argue that Jillian never changed. Jillian endured the same childhood trauma that every Lion before her had undergone, except she had a twin sibling that (according to custom) should have been eradicated as a rival heir. This caused her to develop a mad obsession for protecting her sister, leading to some of her manic tendencies and unwillingness to trust others. But there is a character development in Jillian that I cherish. Despite giving it her most ferocious fight, she does fall in love and occasionally shows vulnerability. A scene that is special to me is one of the final passages that I wrote. Jillian is observing a lioness during her escape into the wilderness, realizing that she had finally found happiness being away from all of her troubles and obligations. But her happiness only lasts for a moment because she wishes that Natalia could be there, sharing the experience. As soon as she thought of Natalia, she wept, knowing that she must go home and do what must be done for her sister’s sake. 


How easy or difficult is it for you as a male writer to write female characters? (This is slightly a trick question as female writers write male characters too!)


There is a compliment I received from a female reader that I will never forget: “You are very good at writing about the behaviors, mood swings, and interactions between teenage sisters.” At first this made me feel sort of weird. But I do think it speaks of my ability to become my character while writing. I’ve always thought that I get deeply invested in a character’s emotions whether I’m writing, reading, or watching a movie. Writing emotionally intense scenes usually leaves me completely exhausted as if I experienced the turmoil. I will also add that I have an older sister whose mood swings sometimes dealt the worst beatings of my life.


You are donating a percentage of the profits from sales to Girls Inc. What is Girls Inc and why did you choose that organisation? 


The purpose of Girls, Inc. is to inspire all girls to be strong, smart, and bold. I know that’s what my main characters would want as well. I’ve spent five years working on this novel, so the characters are a huge part of my life. I wanted to give back to a cause honoring Jillian and Natalia.


What is the significance of the lions in the novel and the title?


I wanted to differentiate the rulers of Karkov from kings. In the prologue, when comparing Lions and kings, I wrote that the difference is fierce. I eased the reader into the understanding of what a Lion truly is, but eventually, it is clear that being a Lion is not a great representation of humanity. I also liked the Lioness nickname that would be given to Jillian. Besides liking how it sounded, it also represented a quieter treason that developed when the young warriors began calling her Lioness. If she would have been dubbed queen, it would have been much less subtle. 


You mention that there are hidden messages in the novel, including messages for your wife. Tell us something about those. 


Some are so inconsequential that a reader wouldn’t even think about it being meaningful. But to my wife, they are hidden messages or inside jokes. An example of a small, inside joke is when Natalia bursts into laughter over a boy falling on his rear while doing sword exercises. Here, I am telling my wife that I find her warped sense of humor endearing. Another example is the romantic roofless abbey that I previously mentioned. I named this abbey after her because of a wonderful evening when we accidentally came upon an abandoned abbey in the middle of a sheep pasture. Most of all, I tap into my feelings for her quite often. The book is dedicated to her by quoting a line that Natalia said to Jillian. When writing that line, I wanted Natalia’s response to be my words to my wife. So, I wrote, “Loving you is the reason I am me.”


Some fantasy writers don’t know much about horses, though others are experienced horse riders and owners. You have experience as a bull-rider and rodeo champion. What can you tell us about this?


It’s like having your hand tied to the back of the Kraken when it’s about to be released! I am very curious if I’m the only person in the world who has gone from bull riding to writing a fantasy novel. It seems plausible. I have a very injury-prone history with horses. As a small child, the first time I ever got on a horse ended with waking in an emergency room. Another time I woke up to a rodeo clown carrying me to an ambulance. I figure that I should get something out of all of the injuries; perhaps it came in the form of helping me write a novel set in a time like our 1860s.


What do you find fascinating about the history and landscape of Europe and how does it contrast with America, which has its own extraordinary landscapes and wilderness?


While America certainly has its wonders, it seems like everywhere I turn in Europe drums up blissful sentiment. I love the historic buildings in Boston, but they’re fairly recent compared to the Shambles of York. What about the time I could take a few steps from my hotel and be in front of the 2,000-year-old Pantheon? I get emotional over sitting on steps used by da Vinci or visiting the old haunts of Van Gogh or Hemingway. Seeing the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel for the first time nearly made my legs buckle. The first time I saw the Grand Canal was from a vintage Chris-Craft boat. Another day, my family of 3 didn’t realize that we were about to climb a glacier while on a tour—but we did! My time in Europe is filled with unforgettable experiences. And I must mention the people. I adore the people that I come across in Europe and often think they have life figured out.


Why was it important to write a story with a feminist aspect and to tell the story of two sisters in a patriarchal world?


The fact that we still live in a patriarchal world gets my blood boiling. Last October, while visiting Dromoland Castle, I learned that the entire community was concerned because the O’Brien family did not have a male heir. The granddaughter of the baron isn’t allowed to inherit the property. Why is this still a thing?! And we’ve all been witnessing a monumental example with the Iranian women risking death by standing up for their rights. They are real-life versions of my characters, fighting against centuries of oppression.


You are working on a novel set in an alternative version of Scotland. What can you tell us about that?


That same October visit to Ireland influenced me to change the setting to a land like Ireland’s wild Atlantic Coast. This setting works better for my story of a Celtic druidess, taken from her homeland to help fend off the invasion of a conquering neighbor. For background, I am currently studying the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland as well as the Gaelic roots of the people.


Will there be a sequel to The Last Lion of Karkov?


I will leave that up to the readers. I certainly hope so and spend a lot of time thinking about the story’s continuation. What I think about the most is the fact that Natalia loves two men. I don’t want to be formulaic in how I go forward with this.


What authors influenced you when you were starting out and who do you enjoy reading now?


My first love as a reader was Hemingway. And I do think there is some influence there. I try to tell a story like him, not attempting to be a wordsmith. Hemingway was also the author who often took me to Europe—the Alps during WWI, Paris afterward, and then frequently to Spain. Currently, I enjoy reading Guy Gavriel Kay.


What is the role of epic fantasy in the 21st century? Why do we still love it?


Fantasy is a playground for the imagination. It’s where we can color outside the lines to create unique beauty without having to fit within the confines of history, science, politics, language, or geography. Limitless imaginations will always be important.


Amazon


About Dale Griffin:


DALE GRIFFIN is a historical fantasy writer releasing his debut novel "The Last Lion of Karkov" in March 2023. Griffin considers himself a traveler and a writer as a result. Married to his best friend and travel partner, the two explore Europe as frequently as possible. Inspired by those journeys, Griffin uses his experiences to influence his imagined worlds and the memorable characters who dwell in them.


No comments:

Post a Comment