Speculative fiction in general:
- Ryan Plummer and Madeleine Monsson-Rosen shares seventeen science fiction novel that changed the genre forever.
- The participants of the SF Signal Mind Meld discuss how speculative fiction uses humor.
- John DeNardo also takes a look at the lighter side of science fiction and fantasy.
- Melanie R. Meadors points out that heroism is in the eye of the beholder.
- Stacey Berg shares five SFF books which obliterate the Bechdel test.
- Heather Massey discusses the appeal of the pairing of badass women and nerdy men in SFF.
- Rachel Swirsky shares her appreciation for Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville books.
- Diana Bourjee tries to explain why some male nerds are so sexist.
- Angel Cruz shares speculative fiction by Southeast Asian authors.
- Joe Hart explains the difference between post-apocalyptic and dystopian fiction.
- Jeannie van Rompaey shares ten reasons why she loves writing dystopian fiction.
- Jazelle Hunt remembers the legacy of Octavia Butler.
- Todd Klein takes a look at Robert A. Heinlein's pulp work.
- Scott van Wynsberghe profiles Hugo Gernsback.
- Chris Morran wonders whether the Klingon language is protected by copyright.
- John Maher attempts to explain why Game of Thrones is really science fiction.
- Clive James explains how he found himself enjoying Game of Thrones against his better reason.
- Jenn Northington discusses the first season of The Magicians.
- Constance Grady and Javier Zarracina wonder why extremely competent female characters are so often portrayed as a sidekicks of less competent male characters.
- Dana Piccoli says that Wynonna Earp is the heroine we need and deserve right now.
- Leah Schnelbach asks why Hollywood is still whitewashing Asian characters.
- Matt Kim wonders whether Star Wars: Rogue One will be a science fiction period piece.
- Abigail Nussbaum explains why Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice is a movie about toxic masculinity.
- Ben Child wonders whether we have reached peak superhero.
- T.J. Raphael remembers the moral panic surrounding Dungeons and Dragons and other RPGs in the 1980s.
- Science fiction author Philip Edward Kaldon has died.
Tributes to Prince:
- Singer, songwriter, musician and actor Prince has died aged 57.
- Charlie Jane Anders points out that Prince was one of the great fantasy storytellers of our times.
- Alexis Petridis claims that Prince was completely unknowable and unpredictable, just as he intended.
- Michelle Garcia points out that Prince gave black kids permission to be weirdos.
- The winners of the 2016 Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards have been announced.
- The nominees for the 2016 Eisner Awards have been announced.
- There is an update regarding the new Dragon Awards, which clarifies several details.
- Paul St. John Machintosh reports on the controversy surrounding the HWA's Bram Stoker Awards.
Early reactions to Captain America: Civil War:
- Jenna Reyes rounds up early reviews of Captain America: Civil War.
- Dan Marcus believes that Captain America: Civil War may win the war against superhero fatigue.
- Mark D. White views Captain America: Civil War as a clash of philosophies.
- Germain Lussier explains Spider-Man's role in Captain America: Civil War.
- Alyssa Auriemma talks about Captain America as an example of new masculinity.
Comments on season 4 of Orphan Black:
- Caroline Framke says that the season 4 premiere of Orphan Black takes a huge risk, but that it pays off.
- Emily Yahr wonders whether Orphan Black has become too confusing.
- Amber Dowling explains how Orphan Black is returning to its roots for season 4.
Comments on season 1 of Supergirl:
- Colin Campbell shares his thoughts on season 1 of Supergirl.
- David Betancourt also shares his thoughts on season 1 of Supergirl.
- Charlie Jane Anders declares that Supergirl will need to up its game, if the show wants to get a second season.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Storm Constantine talks about her writing plans.
- John Shirley talks about writing and music.
- Nina Munteanu talks about the writer editor relationship.
- Cat Rambo talks about using Instagram as a writer.
- David Neth explains how to choose the right categories for your books.
- Joe Vasicek shares some thoughts on series and permafree.
- David Gaughran and Phoenix Sullivan talk about scammer attacks on Kindle Unlimited and the Amazon free e-book charts.
- Ann Christy also talks about the Kindle Unlimited scammers.
- Sara Cutaia interviews Kelly Link.
- C. Derick Varn and Dinesh Raghavendra interview M. John Harrison.
- Frank Barbiere interviews Genevieve Valentine.
- Paul John Cana interviews Sarah Maas.
- Carl Slaughter interviews Michael Swanwick.
- Carl Slaughter also interviews Annie Bellet.
- Carl Slaughter also interviews Bud Sparhawk.
- Olly MacNamee interviews M.R. Carey.
- Dag Rambraut interviews Christopher G. Nuttall.
- Build Your Author Career interviews Aaron Hodges.
- Ana Grilo reviews Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire.
- Colleen Mondor reviews An Inheritance of Ashes by Leah Bobbet.
- Russell Letson reviews Transgalactic by James Gunn.
- Arel B. Grant reviews The Beast by J.R. Ward.
- Nicole Hill reviews Roses and Rot by Kat Howard.
- The Romantic Reader reviews Ex-Wives of Dracula by Georgette Kaplan.
- Rachel Cordasco reviews Empire V: The Prince of Hamlet by Victor Pelevin, translated by Anthony Phillips.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews Webcam by Jack Kilborn.
- Bookworm Blues reviews Zeroes by Chuck Wendig.
- Blackfish Reviews reviews Chains of Command by Marko Kloos.
- Timothy, Camestros Felapton's cat, reviews Ctrl Alt Delete by Nick Cole.
- Mech: Age of Steel, an anthology edited by Tim Marquitz and N.X. Sharps, is looking for funding.
- By the Silver Wind, book IV of the Summer King Chronicles by Jessica Owen, is looking for funding.
- The Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library is looking for donations to allow them to purchase a new building with more space.
Science and technology:
- A never before seen galaxy has been spotted orbiting the Milky Way.
- Four ways NASA is teaching us to live more sustainably.
- What really happened when the asteroid that caused the dinosaurs to go extinct struck.
- Though it seems the dinosaurs were already declining before the asteroid hit.
- "Nessie" has been discovered by a diving robot in Loch Ness. Okay, so it's only a lost film prop from the 1960s.
Free online fiction:
- "Origin Story" by Carrie Vaughn.
- "Among the Living" by John Markley at Escape Pod.
- "The Hunter Captain" by David John Barker at Escape Pod.
- "The Destroyer" by Tara Isabella Burton at Tor.com.
- "Dune Time" by Jack Nicholls at Tor.com
- "Foxfire, Foxfire" by Yoon Ha Lee in Beneath Ceaseless Skies.
- "A Salvaging of Ghosts" by Aliette de Bodard in Beneath Ceaseless Skies.
- "Indigo Blue" by Rachael K. Jones in Shimmer!
- "The Summer People" by Kelly Link.
- "Home" by Tony Rabig.
- "Win Your Life" by Floyd Looney.
- "Giant Robot Attack" by T.S. Paul.
Odds and ends: