Monday, May 30, 2016

The First New Martians (The Eighth Sister of the Pleiades, Book 1) by Eric W. Deakin

Release date: May 18, 2016
Subgenre: Hard Science Fiction

About The First New Martians

 

A Novel by Eric W. Deakin about how Humankind began the ascent to the stars via inner space and those who made it possible. How an old soldier, his dog and a young Aboriginal girl, with help from the Axis Engineers, changed the history of humankind forever. How more money than the collective wealth of the entire world was spent on this mission. 

Excerpt:


Prologue


Here I am, now the most powerful human that I know of, in all of our history. I have, in my hands, the ability to protect all of mankind. Yet should they threaten the viability of their planet, I also have the power to destroy them. Should I help them make of themselves what “I” think they should be? As Baron Acton once wrote, “absolute power corrupts, absolutely”. The immense responsibility of this situation in which I now find myself, is a huge diversion to my image of self. I have shelved this problem. I will do nothing, yet. For many years I wondered at politicians who did nothing, and remained popular. I now have a better knowledge of their dilemma. Have I become, as a god? Am I subject to a god? Am I now a part of the plan of a godlike power? The God of my childhood began with his god-ship over mankind. He had been an overlord, giving order to everything. It had seemed to me then, the universe he created and most of the creatures therein, were well ordered. But mankind was ever a disordered species. The God of the Old Testament tried very hard to order mankind into his ethics. He had little success. Eventually he cleansed the world of almost all of mankind. A few he chose to continue on under his order and they did so. Very soon mankind was going on full ahead just as before. At least this god was a quick learner. He gave up being an overlord. Mankind would now have to learn from his own mistakes. God would not intervene. He would reward those who did as he ordered, in a heavenly afterlife. Some kind of dark brother of God would punish those who disobeyed in an antithesis of this heaven, after their death. The priests of God, as did always the priests of all gods, found great power and profit in this ideology. One could only ascend to the utopia which waited for them, through the approval of God’s church and its priesthoods. Everyone else would be subject to the ravages of the dark anti-God. Those who did not accept the power of God and his priesthood, were to be punished. There was no other God but God. Much of the world went into the dark ages, where truth was subject to the approval of the priesthood. The priesthood became more and more powerful in these times. God seemed somehow to be an absent slave of his priesthood, used by them to further their own power. The advent of the freedom given science and the resulting industrial revolution, which might never have occurred under priestly rule, reversed all this. God still seemed to be absent but the priests became much less powerful. Mankind was now looking for new leadership and guardianship. Would God rise up again to take this needed place? Could “I” serve the God of my childhood and take this place in his name? Or should I take this place and impose my own ethics and that of the Axis fearing not the God of my childhood?
How I came to be in this position is an almost unbelievable story. Where it all leads, shows the many open possibilities available to humankind.


Amazon 

Free on May 29 and 30!

 

About Eric W. Deakin:

 Eric W Deakin was born in the United Kingdom in 1947. He immigrated to Australia with his family while still a child. He began a career in Electronics in the 1960s. He retired as a fire service officer in 1996 when he built his own home in a small fishing village on Kangaroo Island. He has been a yachtsman and lived aboard his yacht for 15 years. He now travels aboard a 13 ton truck he has converted into a mobile home with his wife Judy and his standard poodle Grace who helps with the writing and plays a cameo role. He has a passion for science and technology and a disdain for the dogmas of politics and religion.

Website | Author Central | Twitter | Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment