Speculative fiction in general:
- Joch McArthur points out that science fiction has always been political.
- Chris Pak talks about terraforming and geoengineering in science fiction.
- Tor.com shares their ten favourite supernatural detectives.
- Sam Reader shares his five favourite daring journalists in SFF.
- Garth Nix shares five books that pack an emotional punch.
- Helen Lowe talks about soul-sucking swords and other artefacts in epic fantasy.
- Nicole Hill shares the twenty most shocking moments in two decades of A Song of Ice and Fire.
- Connie Willis explains why telepathy is an awful superpower.
- Zoe Carpenter profiles Ursula K. Le Guin.
- Julie Phillips also profiles Ursula K. Le Guin.
- Andrew J. Hirsch profiles H.R. Giger.
- Walter Jon Williams shares his appreciation for the works of Cordwainer Smith.
- Matthew Cheney shares his appreciation for Dark Reflections by Samuel R. Delany.
- Liz Bourke shares her appreciation for Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear.
- Jeff Somers shares his appreciation for the Xanth series by Piers Anthony.
- Barack Obama shares his favourite science fiction movies and TV series.
- Leigh Butler shares her appreciation for the movie The Last Starfighter.
- Reneysh Vittal shares his appreciation for the 1982 animated fantasy film The Flight of Dragons.
- Carly Lane shares her appreciation for the characters Dr. Beverly Crusher and Dana Scully.
- Matt Melia asks just how heroic Captain James T. Kirk really is.
- Alanna Bennett reports about the controversy surrounding the casting of a white actor as Iron Fist in the eponymous series and the response of Marvel head Jeph Loeb.
- Hugo Martin explains what is killing haunted houses and other Halloween attractions.
- Film historian and critic Bill Warren has died aged 73.
Comments on Luke Cage:
- Jazzi Johnson compiles some racist reactions to Luke Cage and its mostly black cast.
- Terri Schwartz declares that Luke Cage had a great debut, which was somewhat marred by a disappointing villain.
- Jessica McKinney interviews Mahershala Ali, who plays the villain Cottonmouth in Luke Cage.
- Desire Thompson reports that according to star Mike Colter Luke Cage's hoodie is an homage to Trayvon Martin.
Comments on season 2 of Supergirl:
- Alex Cranz declares that the season 2 premiere of Supergirl is why superhero shows exist.
- The Geekiary reviews the season 2 premiere of Supergirl.
- Joshua Yehl explains how Supergirl gets Superman right.
Comments on Shin Godzilla a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence:
- Alex Cranz calls Shin Godzilla a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence a wonderful satire of US Japanese relations.
- Alonso Duralde says that Shin Godzilla mixes giant monsters and political satire.
- Joe Leydon calls Shin Godzilla the Batman Begins of the Godzilla series.
- Simon Abrams reviews Shin Godzilla.
- Neil Genzlinger has mixed feelings about Shin Godzilla.
- Elizabeth Kerr says that Shin Godzilla is a typical Godzilla movie, though she does not seem happy with the political undertones.
- Edward Douglas also isn't happy with the political allegory of Shin Godzilla.
- The winner of the 2016 Gaylactic Spectrum Award has been announced.
- The winner of the 2016 WSFA Small Press Award has been announced.
- The winner of the 2016 Nåbel Prize (not a typo) has been announced.
- The finalists for the 2016 National Book Awards have been announced.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Kameron Hurley talks about the mission driven writing career.
- Jennifer Foehner Wells talks about The Druid Gene and writing diverse characters.
- Daydreams of a beautiful disaster shares 146 of the most popular romance tropes.
- Bret Wellman talks about injecting a dose of realism into fantasy.
- B. Pine explains how to use creation myths to create a fictional religion.
- Elizabeth Barrone shares five things she's learned about self-publishing in the past five years.
- Everyday Fangirl interviews Lois McMaster Bujold.
- Tasha Robinson interviews Connie Willis.
- T.O. Munro interviews Mercedes M. Yardley and John Boden.
- Dag Rambraut interviews Brenda Cooper.
- Dag Rambraut also interviews Matthew B.J. Delaney.
- Dag Rambraut also interviews Eric Brown.
- The Qwillery interviews Barbara Barnett.
- Sam Riedel interviews Lexie Dunn.
- Carl Slaughter interviews M.C.A. Hogarth.
- Rob di Laurio interviews Cassandra Peterson a.k.a. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.
- N.K. Jemisin reviews Behind the Throne by K.B. Wagers, Pretty Deadly by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios, Summerlong by Peter S. Beagle and The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp.
- Paul di Filippo reviews The Found and the Lost by Ursula K. Le Guin.
- Mahvesh Murad reviews Aerie by Maria Dahvana Headley.
- Richard Bray reviews The Raven by Aderyn Wood.
- Jana Nyman and Rebecca Fisher review Railhead by Philip Reeve.
- Eric Christensen reviews A City Dreaming by Daniel Polansky.
- Rachel Swirsky reviews Dreaming in the Dark, edited by Jack Dann.
- John Langan reviews Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay.
- Marion Deeds reviews I Am Providence by Nick Mamatas.
- Erin Horakova reviews The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman.
- Polenth Blake reviews Love Beyond Body, Space and Time, edited by Hope Nicholson.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews Everything Belongs to the Future by Laurie Penny.
- Michael Patrick Hicks also reviews Hammers on Bone by Cassandra Khaw.
- Rob Bedford shares his experiences at New York Comic-Con.
- Tor.com shares the highlights of New York Comic-Con.
- Leah Schnelbach reports about the "Race and Sexuality in Comics" panel at New York Comic-Con in New York City.
- Beth Elderkin and Evan Narcise share the best cosplay photos from New York Comic-Con.
- Scott Lynch also shares plenty of cosplay photos from New York Comic-Con.
- Dave Langford shares his experiences at the Milford SF Writers Conference in Milford-on-Sea, UK.
- Christopher Priest also shares his experiences at the Milford SF Writers Conference in Milford-on-Sea.
Science and technology:
- Astronomers have found a new dwarf planet in our solar system.
- Colonising the moon may be a lot more dangerous than previously assumed.
- Where is the US most vulnerable to a catastrophic solar storm?
- Why are there giant X's in the Arizona desert?
Free online fiction:
- "The Dragon's Tears" by Aliette de Bodard in Lightspeed.
- "Game Night at the Fox and the Goose" by Karen Joy Fowler in Lightspeed.
- "Blue is a Darkness Weakened by Light" by Sarah McCarry at Tor.com.
- "The Witch of Orion Waste and the Boy Knight" by E. Lily Yu in Uncanny Magazine.
- "Rooms Formed of Neurons and Sex" by Ferrett Steinmetz in Uncanny Magazine.
- "My Wife Hates Time Travel" by Adam-Troy Castro in Lightspeed.
Odds and ends:
- Watch a trailer for Star Wars: Rogue One.
- James Whitbrock offers a breakdown of the Rogue One trailer.
- Watch a trailer for Iron Fist.
- Watch a trailer for Midnight, Texas.
- Watch a trailer for season 2 of The Man in the High Castle.
- Watch a trailer for The Great Wall.
- Watch a trailer for Power Rangers.
- Watch a trailer for Underworld 5.