Speculative fiction in general:
- Barbara Barnett talks about Byronic heroes in contemporary fantasy and science fiction.
- Ian Sales talks about Ruritanian science fiction.
- Shana DuBois asks several writers how A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin changed fantasy forever.
- Angela Slatter shares five mosaic novels to read.
- Josh Jones shares Anthony Burgess' list of his five favourite dystopian novels.
- Amy F. Foster shares five books with female protagonist who shoot first and ask questions later.
- Joanne Hall shares a non-exhaustive list of women in SFF.
- Ros Jackson adds a non-exhaustive list of women in indie SFF.
- Na'amen Gobert Tilahun shares recommendations for queer and/or polyamorous paranormal romance.
- Sarah Gailey explains why mentally ill women belong in SFF, too.
- Navah Wolfe explains why fairytales are ripe for feminist retellings.
- Carmen Maria Machado discusses how to suppress women's criticism.
- Jason Sanford discusses the disturbing racism and anti-semitism of H.P. Lovecraft.
- Sam Reader shares nine new horror novels for Halloween.
- Aderyn Wood asks if it is time to make vampires scary again.
- Sam Sykes talks about the tribalism of nerd culture.
- Emily Asher-Perrin answers the important question how much beer it takes to get a Hobbit drunk.
- Emily Asher-Perin also explains why humans are so central in Star Trek.
- Todd VanDerWerff wonders what the new TV version of Westworld is even about.
- Katharine Trendacosta shares her appreciation for the movie Practical Magic.
- Cheryl Eddy shares twenty essential horror films directed by women.
- Science fiction writer M.K. Wren died aged 78.
- Fantasy writer Ruth Ann Stuart died aged 52.
- Horror and crime fiction writer Ed Gorman died aged 75.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Donna S. Frelick talks about writing diverse characters in science fiction romance.
- Cora Buhlert talks about the creativity pressure cooker.
- Matthew B.J. Delaney attempts to answer the question what is more important, plot or character?
- Marie Brennan explains how a roleplaying campaign can inspire a novel.
- Rayne Hall shares some tips for writing night scenes.
- Rosalind Moran explains how to write realistically about horses.
- Sam Sykes explains why he chose to write a Pathfinder tie-in novel.
- Ann Leckie talks about blacklisting and why you shouldn't worry about it.
- Liana Brooks discusses the best time to query an agent, if you're looking for one.
- Ruth Nestvold reports about the Amazon Page Flip controversy and how it negatively affects indie authors.
- Thea James reviews A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers.
- Stuart Starosta reviews Death's End by Liu Cixin, translated by Ken Liu.
- Cory Doctorow reviews Everything Belongs to the Future by Laurie Penny.
- Ross Johnson reviews A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson.
- Bibliosanctum reviews Children of the Different by S.C. Flynn.
- Alyx Dellamonica reviews a Feast of Sorrows by Angela Slatter.
- Jonathan Thornton reviews The Emperor's Railroad by Guy Haley.
- Tim Pratt reviews I Am Providence by Nick Mamatas.
- Sam Reader reviews Exploded View by Sam McPheerson.
- Literary Treats reviews The Gauntlet by Karuna Riazi and Amina's Voice by Hena Khan.
- Ardi Alspach reviews The Starlit Wood - New Fairytales, edited by Dominik Parisien and Navah Wolfe.
- Haralambi Markov also reviews The Starlit Wood - New Fairytales, edited by Dominik Parisien and Navah Wolfe.
- Charlotte Higgins interviews Margaret Atwood.
- John Maher interviews Ursula K. Le Guin.
- Rachel Toor interviews Jennifer Crusie.
- Heather Massey interviews Lisa Pell.
- Josh Hayes and Scott Moon interviews Peter F. Hamilton.
- Gemma Beynon interviews Gareth L. Powell.
- Dag Rambraut interviews Lexie Dunne.
- Dag Rambraut interviews Ben Peek.
- Merryn Magazine interviews Ian Sales.
- Carl Slaughter interviews Sunil Patel.
- Mieneke van der Salm interviews Peter C. Harley.
- Dangerous Women: Tales of Queer Villainy, an anthology edited by Erica Friedman, is looking for funding.
- Gideon Marcus shares his experiences and some photos of Geek Girl Con in Seattle, Washington.
- Gail Carriger shares her experiences and some photos of the Gaslight Gathering in San Diego, California.
- Rob Bedford shares his further experiences at the New York Comic-Con in New York City.
- Mark L. Blackman shares his experiences at the latest installment of the Fantastic Fiction Reading Series at the KGB Bar in Manhattan, New York City, featuring Caitlin R. Kiernan and Jack Ketchum.
Science and technology:
- The Chinese spaceship Shenzou 11 has started with two taikonauts aboard bound for the Tiangong 2 space station.
- The ESA's Mars lander Schiaparelli is feared lost, but its mothership the Trace Gas Orbiter is doing well.
- A secret algorithm determines the length and severity of prison sentences in the US.
- A computer has allegedly solved the grandfather paradox.
- A cultural history of the creepy clown trope.
Free online fiction:
- "Everything that Isn't Winter" by Margaret Killjoy at Tor.com.
- "Indigo Blue" by Rachael K. Jones in Shimmer.
- "A Moment of Gravity, Circumscribed" by Fran Wilde in Lightspeed.
- "The Mourning Hour" by Anya Ow in GigaNotoSaurus.
- "These are the Rules of Being a Hero" by Emily McCosh in Daily Science Fiction.
- "Bears Discover Fire" by Terry Bisson in Lightspeed.
- "The Cavern of the Screaming Eye" by Jeremiah Tolbert in Lightspeed.
- "The Witch's Knives" by Maragaret Ronald in Strange Horizons.
Odds and ends: