Speculative fiction in general:
- Rachel Cordasco hosts a roundtable on speculative fiction in translation.
- Joel Cunningham shares twenty SFF books about social justice.
- Jason Sanford explains how science fiction and fantasy taught him everything he really needed to know.
- Michael Moreci shares six books to tide you over until the next Star Wars film.
- Meghan Ball shares five underrated fantasy series to tide you over until George R.R. Martin finishes The Winds of Winter.
- Jeff Somers shares twelve science fiction novels about cloning.
- Tor.com shares 16 tales of weather magic.
- Tor.com also shares seven representations of the seven deadly sins in speculative fiction.
- Oliver Langmead explains why he doesn't like dragons.
- Kay L. Ling complains about stale tropes in fantasy.
- Natalie Luhrs explains why SFF fans should read romance.
- Sarah Gailey offers a defence of villainesses.
- Monique Jones discusses what the character of Draco Malfoy tells us about racism.
- Scott Timberg and Junot Diaz discuss Octavia Butler.
- Sheila Liming remembers Octavia Butler.
- Ruth Franklin remembers Shirley Jackson.
- The Jewish Women's Archive profiles Jane Yolen and Rachel Swirsky.
- Walter Jon Williams revisits The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.
- Foz Meadows discusses Westworld and how it (de)humanises the Other.
- Bibliodaze discusses how the failure of Passengers is due to neglecting the preferences of female viewers.
- Paco Salas Perez discusses how the movie Arrival uses linguistics.
- Heidi Waterhouse discusses Hidden Figures and the Shine theory.
- Swapna Krishna discusses time travel in the TV show Timeless.
- Neil Genzlinger shares his thoughts on A Series of Unfortunate Events.
- Ashley Wells shares her thoughts on the TV series The Good Place.
- Leigh Butler shares her appreciation for the 1985 movie D.A.R.Y.L.
- Emily Asher-Perrin theorises that all of Tim Burton's films take place in the same universe.
- William Peter Blatty, horror author best known for The Exorcist, died aged 89.
- Paul Vitello offers an obituary of William Peter Blatty.
- Astronaut Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon, has died aged 82.
Comments on Sherlock:
- Emily Asher-Perrin discusses the emotional context of the Sherlock episode "The Final Problem".
- A.J. Hartley declares that Sherlock has a problem with plot twists.
- Stuart Heritage declares that Sherlock has become an annoying self-parody.
- The nominations for the 2017 Annie Awards have been announced.
- The nominations for the 2017 BBC Audio Drama Awards have been announced.
- The 2017 Prometheus Hall of Fame finalists have been announced.
- The recipients of the 2017 Special Edgar Awards have been announced.
- Chris M. Barkley shares his thoughts about the proposed Hugo Award for young adult fiction.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Tom Turner points out that writers write and don't wait for inspiration to strike.
- Ayodeji Awosika explains how to be certain your writing career isn't a waste of time.
- Steven Smith shares a list of recommended writing craft books.
- Theodora Goss discusses the politics of narrative patterns.
- Shanna Germain shares some tips regarding bullet journaling for fiction writers.
- Victoria Fry explains how to use a bullet journal to keep track of characters.
- Chuck Wendig shares some tips for doing revisions.
- Fantasy Faction shares some tips for author promoting themselves on social media.
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch discusses the cycles of the publishing business.
- Michiko Kakutani interviews Barack Obama about his reading habits.
- Civilian Reader interviews Maurice Broaddus.
- M.B. Roberts interviews Veronica Roth.
- Juliana Spink Mills interviews Bryan Wigmore.
- Joshua Sky interviews Brandon Easton.
- Aaron Reese interviews Kyle Higgins.
- J.D. Byrne interviews Patricia Hopper Patteson.
- Redditors interview Dr. Chuck Tingle.
- Joanne Hall reviews The Ninth Rain by Jen Williams.
- Aidan Moher reviews Martians Abroad by Carrie Vaughn.
- Paul Weimer reviews Starborn by Lucy Hounsom.
- Paul Kincaid reviews The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard.
- Kate Coe reviews The Burning Page by Genevieve Cogman.
- Tadiana Jones reviews The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden.
- Mieneke van der Salm reviews Grim Tidings by Nancy K. Wallace.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews Highwayman by Craig Saunders.
- Rachael McKenzie reviews Survival Game by Gary Gibson.
- Samira Nadkarni reviews Deserts of Fire: Speculative Fiction and the Modern War, edited by Douglas Lain.
- nerds of a feather review Gathering by Brian G. Turner.
- Eugene Fisher shares his experiences at and some videos of the 2016 Tiptree Symposium in Eugene, Oregon.
- Mark L. Blackman reports about the latest installment of the Fantastic Fiction Readings series, featuring Fran Wilde and Holly Black, at the KGB Bar in Manhattan, New York.
- Trae Dorn reports that the Comic Excitement Convention in Los Angeles, California, was a failure.
Science and technology:
- Viruses may be responsible for life as we know it.
- NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has found its third meteorite.
- Curiosity has also found some potentially important mud cracks.
- What is the destiny of the world's largest UFO archive?
Free online fiction:
- "Tracker" by Mary Rosenblum in Lightspeed.
- "BlueBellow" by Alexis Pauline Gumbs in Strange Horizons.
- "The Whole Crew Hates Me" by Adam-Troy Castro in Lightspeed.
- "The Atonement Tango" by Stephen Leigh at Tor.com.
- "Twenty Years Later, by Separation Peak" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.
- "The Voice of Reason" by T.S. Paul.
Odds and ends: