And here is our weekly round-up of interesting links about speculative fiction from around the web:
Speculative fiction in general:
- National Public Radio profiles James Tiptree Jr. a.k.a. Alice Sheldon.
- At Amazing Stories, Steve Davidson takes on the latest Hugo Awards debate.
- Cora Buhlert also takes on the latest Hugo Awards debate.
- E.P. Beaumont discusses three science fictional romances which inspired her.
- Lou Cadle shares his favourite disaster movies.
- At The Paris Review, Jason Z. Resnikoff has a fascinating essy about 2001 - A Space Odyssey and Alien in the contaxt of the 1960s and 1970s in the US.
- Tobias Roote talks about artificial intelligence.
- Nora Roberts a.k.a. J.D. Robb responds to people leaving negative or harrassing comments on her personal and Facebook pages by saying "Bite Me!"
- The finalists for the 2014 Philip K. Dick Award have been announced.
- Brian Clemens, who co-created the classic TV shows The Avengers and The Professionals and wrote scripts for Danger Man, Remington Steele and Highlander, has died aged 83.
Best of 2014 lists:
- Our very own Heidi Garrett shares her favourite reads of 2014.
- Lady Business share their favourite works of 2014.
- At A Dribble of Ink, Aidan Moher shares his favourite things of 2014.
Witing, publishing and promotion:
- Elena Linville discusses outlines.
- Vincent Caine introduces his characters Silas Brace and Feather.
- J.T. Williams interviews his character Ustavis, Mage of Elinathrond.
- Neil Gaiman shares the ultimate writing secret.
- Ruth Nestvold shares some tips what to do when your book isn't selling.
- At Reedsy, Anne R. Allen shares some blogging strategies and tips for writers.
- Hugh Howey explains why the alleged glut of e-books is a good thing.
- Hugh Howey also points out that the sky isn't falling, but the world is turning.
- Drew Avera interviews Nick Cole.
- Juliette Wade interviews Joyce Chng a.k.a. J. Damask.
- Ognian Georgiev interviews Ahmad Ardalan.
- Gene Bathurst interviews Buzz Dixon, writer of Thundarr, the Barbarian and other 1980s cartoons.
- Sharon Stogner interview Jacqueline Carey.
- Reedsy interviews cover designer Stewart Williams.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews Atlanta Burns by Chuck Wendig.
- Jacob Foxx reviews The Heretic by Luca Bale.
- Judy Goodwin reviews Shade by Marilyn Peake.
- Elena Linville reviews It Started with a Whisper by A.W. Hartoin.
- Rachel Corsdasco reviews A Legend of the Future by Agustín de Rojas.
- Paul Levinson reviews the movie Predestination.
- Red Star Tales, an anthology of 100 years' worth of notable Russian and Soviet science fiction, is looking for funding.
- Author C.D. Verhoff needs some help to publish her novel Avant Nation.
- Transgender writer Jude Orly Enji needs some help to finance surgery.
- Jenny Trout discusses the ethics of running a crowdfunding campaign.
- Natalie Luhrs also discusses the ethics of running a crowdfunding campaign.
- Dear Author discusses the downsides of crowdfunding campaigns.
- Margaret McGraw shares her impressions of IllogiCon 4 in Raleigh Durham, North Carolina. Part 2 is here.
- Fraser Sherman also shares his impressions of IllogiCon.
- At Concatenation, Ian Hunter reports on the 2014 British Fantasy Convention in York.
- Also at Concatenation, Darrell Buxton shares his experiences at the 25th Festival of Fantastic Films in Manchester.
Science and technology:
- Two black holes in a far off galaxy are headed towards a massive collision.
- Aeon discusses quantum gravity and explains why a single theory of reality might be in sight.
- Harry Manners, Matthew Lane and Ed Barlow discuss if 3D printing has started a revolution.
- Jamie Metzel discusses genetic enhancement and explains how many people will eventually use genetic manipulation when having children.
- Aeon explains why broken sleep is a golden time for creativity.
Free online fiction:
- "Best Christmas Ever", a Monkey Queen short story by Robert Dahlen.
- "The New Aristocrats", part 34 of Musketeer Space, by Tansy Rayner-Roberts
- Chapter 16 of Dragon Physician by Joyce Chng.
- "The Birth of a Child" in Lunar Station Quarterly No. 19, also by Joyce Chng.
- Part III: The Master#5 of Liedecker: Life and Times by Landon Porter.
- Chapter 2 of "Avalon Rises", part 83 of The Descendants by Landon Porter.
Odds and ends:
- Watch the latest trailer for Avengers: Age of Ultron. There is also a shot-by-shot dissection here. And here is another.
- Watch a trailer for The Expanse, the SyFy Channel's new TV series based on the books by James S.A. Corey. Only available in the US, unfortunately.