Speculative fiction in general:
- The participants of the SF Signal Mind Meld talk about which SFF books, movies or TV shows are on their "to watch" list.
- Laura Anne Gilman talks about the fantasy books her teenaged self loved.
- Seanan McGuire talks about how everything comes with its own set of trigger warnings, even if they aren't labelled as such.
- Ilona Andrews offers a brief analysis of the alpha jerk trope in romantic fiction.
- Katherine Jaye explains that romance isn't all sexy douchecanoes.
- Juliet E. McKenna talks about the continuing erasure of women writing science fiction and fantasy.
- Indrapramit Das talks about writing global science fiction.
- Annalee Flower Horne shares the geek's guide to disability.
- Mary Robinette Kowal shares some thoughts on how to add diversity.
- William Henry Morris shares 27 ways of looking at genre.
- Michael R. Underwood shares seven stories about stories.
- Grady Hendrix explains why Beloved by Toni Morrison is the best horror novel the genre never claimed.
- Helen Carroll explains why science fiction technology isn't just fictitious.
- Peter Clines talks about super-people and super-heroes.
- Abraham Riesman profiles Stan Lee.
- Damien Walter wonders whether Stan Lee is the greatest storyteller of our time.
- Alex Abad-Santos explains why history will have trouble remembering Stan Lee as a good guy.
- Shiri Sondheimer explains her issues with the love triangle that has been set up in Agent Carter.
- Charlie Jane Anders explains how Agent Carter created one of the most fascinating villains on television.
- Ryan Britt explains that the very problems of Blade Runner made it a better movie.
- Ryan Britt also declares that the Oscars forgot to nominate The Force Awakens for best picture.
- Michael Oberschneider wonders whether Star Wars caused ADHD.
- Sean Miller claims that E.T. was gay.
- American writer Harper Lee has died aged 89.
- Italian novelist and linguist Umberto Eco has died aged 84.
- British cinematographer Douglas Slocombe, who worked on three of the Indiana Jones movies among many others, has died aged 103.
Comments on the Sherrilyn Kenyon versus Cassandra Clare lawsuit:
- Laura Miller offers an extensive report about the Sherrilyn Kenyon versus Cassandra Clare lawsuit and the background.
- Carolyn Cox also reports on the Kenyon versus Clare lawsuit.
- Read the full text of the complaint filed by Sherrilyn Kenyon against Cassandra Clare at Courtney Milan's site.
- Inspired by the Kenyon versus Clare lawsuit, Susanna Shore asks who owns ideas anyway.
Comments on the revived X-Files:
- Alasdair Stewart explains how the worldview of the revived X-Files has changed.
- Ethan Alter explains how Kolchak: The Night Stalker inspired The X-Files.
- Winston Cook-Wilson explains why The X-Files should end.
- Matt Kamen reports that X-Files creator Chris Carter has said that the new series won't be the last.
- Matt Zoller Seitz defends the X-Files revival.
- Greg Cwik remembers the X-Files spin-off Millennium.
Comments on Deadpool:
- Paul MacInnes points out that the success of Deadpool accelerates the inevitable total geek culture domination.
- Kevin Lincoln wonders whether Deadpool has changed the impact of the R-rating.
- Nick Mamatas shares his thoughts on Deadpool.
- Lela E. Buis shares her thoughts on Deadpool.
- The nominees for the 2015 Nebula Awards have been announced.
- The nominees for the 2015 Bram Stoker Awards have been announced.
- The shortlist for the 2015 Kitchies has been announced.
- The finalists for the 2015 Ditmar Awards have been announced.
- The shortlist for the 2016 Norma K. Hemming Award has been announced.
- The 14th annual Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards are open for voting.
- Joel Cunningham shares his thoughts on the 2015 Nebula nominees.
- Cora Buhlert shares her thoughts on the 2015 Nebula nominees.
- Lauren Sarner explains why the 2015 Nebula Awards are kicking the Oscars' arse.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Kaye M. offers an inspirational post about creativity and creating.
- Andrea Phillips talks about throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.
- Debra Purdy Kong wonders whether ambition and creativity decline with age.
- Elizabeth Bear talks about the toxic pressure to which some writer subject themselves.
- Elizabeth Bear also talks about burnout, creativity and the tyranny of production schedules.
- William Meikle looks back on 25 years as a writer.
- Recent Items shares nine tips on how to write a J.G. Ballard style science fiction novel.
- Joe Nassise offers a free video class on story structure.
- Jason LaPier talks about dealing with the vastness of space in science fiction.
- Leah Dearborn talks about worldbuilding.
- Michael Lachman talks about using short stories for marketing purposes.
- Chuck Wendig repeats the oft-heard battle call "Pay the writer".
- David Neth shares some tips for putting an audiobook together.
- Lee the puppet (as operated by Mary Robinette Kowal) answers writing and publishing questions.
- Mahvesh Murad interviews Margaret Atwood.
- Adrian Ling interviews Pierce Brown.
- The Odyssey Writing Workshop interviews N.K. Jemisin.
- The Qwillery interviews Jacey Bedford.
- Eric Christensen interviews Emma Newman.
- Liz Bourke interviews Karen Miller.
- Carl Slaughter interviews Steven Campbell.
- Carl Slaughter also interviews Bishop O'Connell.
- Carl Slaughter also interviews Marsheila Rockwell.
- Brandon Courcy interviews Tammi Labrecque.
- Kristin Centorcelli interviews Matt Hill.
- Kristin Centorcelli also interviews Glen Hirshberg.
- John Seavey reviews All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders.
- The Bookbeard reviews The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu.
- The Bibliosanctum reviews Morning Star by Pierce Brown.
- Karen Rought reviews Calamity by Brandon Sanderson.
- Ethan Robinson reviews The Weave by Nancy Jane Moore.
- Paul di Filippo reviews The Lost Time Accidents by John Wray.
- Laird Barron reviews Skein and Bone by V.H. Leslie.
- Russell Letson reviews Gypsy by Carter Scholz.
- Joe Sherry reviews Son of the Black Sword by Larry Correia.
- nerds of a feather reviews The Ultra Fabulous Glitter Squadron Saves the World Again by A.C. Wise.
- Shira Glassman reviews Fierce Family, an anthology edited by Bart R. Leib.
- Heather Wixon reviews the movie The Witch.
- Skyboat Media is looking for funding to produce an audio drama of Harlan Ellison's original screenplay for the Star Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever".
- The Museum of Science Fiction is looking for funding for its futuristic mini science fair Escape Velocity.
- Disabled fan Dominick Evans needs help to finance some necessary equipment to ensure his mobility.
- The family of the late science fiction writer Bud Webster needs some help to pay his medical bills.
- Buy some rare books to support author Peter S. Beagle.
- Steve Davidson shares his experiences at Boskone in Boston, Massachusetts. Part 2 is here.
- David Doering reports about "Life, the Universe and Everything" in Provo, Utah.
- Drew Gerken also shares his experiences at "Life, the Universe and Everything".
- Max Florschutz also talks about "Life, the Universe and Everything".
- Rampant Coyote also discusses "Life, the Universe and Everything".
- Harrison Drake reports about the Empower Comic Con in Topeka, Kansas.
- Mark Oshiro reports about his bad experiences at ConQuesT 46 in Kansas City, where he was supposed to be the Guest of Honour. He also offers an update a few days later.
- Jesi Pershing, who was a member of the ConQuesT committee, responds to Mark Oshiro.
- In support of Mark Oshiro, E.P. Beaumont shares her own bad experience at ConQuesT in 2013.
- M.C. Hana responds to Mark Oshiro.
- Rachel Caine shares some tips for convention panelists in response to Mark Oshiro's experiences.
- K. Tempest Bradford responds to Mark Oshiro and Rachel Caine.
- Jim Hines weighs in about the importance of having an anti-harrassment policy and enforcing it, if necessary.
Science and technology:
- NASA's laser-powered engine could get a spaceship from Earth to Mars in 72 hours (if it works).
- What does a black hole actually look like?
- Boston Dynamics has created a robot that can survive an attack, get up and walk to safety.
- So why do we feel so bad when the robot falls down?
Free online fiction:
- "Liminal Grid" by Jaymee Goh in Strange Horizons.
- "Sacrifice" by J.F. Dubeau at SF Signal.
- "Women at Exhibition" by E. Lily Yu in Uncanny Magazine.
- "On the Occasion of My Retirement" by Nick Mamatas in Apex Magazine.
- "Recalled to Service" by Alter S. Reiss at Tor.com.
- "And to the Republic" by Rachel Kolar in Crossed Genres.
- "Green Apocalypse" by Max Florschutz.
- Chapter 5 of "Homage", part 92 of The Descendants by Landon Porter.
Odds and ends:
- Play Californium, a game based on the works of Philip K. Dick.
- Watch a skit of Melisandre from Game of Thrones upsetting a baby shower.
- Watch a skit of Jon Snow from Game of Thrones upsetting a New York dinner party.
- Watch a trailer for Daredevil.
- Watch a trailer for Pete's Dragon.
- Watch a clip from Allegiant.