Speculative fiction in general:
- Damien Walter talks about systems fiction, which sits on the border of literary and speculative fiction.
- Galactic Journey remembers female SFF authors of the 1950s and 1960s.
- Kari Sperring shares her appreciation for the works of Judith Tarr.
- Ethan Mills shares his appreciation for The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.
- Science fiction writer Robert J. Sawyer has been awarded the Order of Canada.
- Luke Buckmaster explains why the movie Labyrinth is so memorable.
- Scott Weinberg shares a beginner's guide to alien invasion movies.
- Camestros Felapton shares his thoughts about Batman versus Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- Steve Cohen explains how the Game of Thrones TV show changed George R.R. Martin's world.
- Katherine Trendacosta shares her appreciation for the TV show Person of Interest.
- Germain Lussier wonders why hardly anybody is talking about the Preacher TV series.
- Echo Ishii remembers some obscure science fiction TV series of the 1990s and early 2000s.
- Phelim O'Neill shares his appreciation for the vintage BBC science fiction anthology TV series Out of the Unknown.
- Jason D'Aprile explains why video games are obsessed with surviving the apocalypse.
Comments on Independence Day: Resurgence:
- Germain Lussier declares that Independence Day: Resurgence has the spectacle of the original, but not the heart.
- Mike Glyer explains that Independence Day: Resurgence made him enjoy the original more, because what is missing in the sequel shows him what the original did right.
- Gary Westfahl actually prefers Independence Day: Resurgence to its predecessor.
- Tara Lynne declares that Independence Day: Resurgence provided just the cheesy nostalgia she wanted.
- Noah Berlatsky discusses the curious colonial politics of Independence Day.
- The winners of the 2016 Locus Awards have been announced.
- The winners of the 2016 Saturn Awards have been announced.
- The nominees for the 2016 Deutscher Phantastik Preis have been announced.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Dean Wesley Smith talks about writing with the right attitude.
- John Skovron talks about how to build a fantasy language.
- Jim C. Hines discusses what would happen, if authors wrote men like they wrote women.
- Susan Jane Bigelow talks about writing transgender characters.
- Joel Cornah talks about writing with dyslexia and depression.
- Kim Liao explains why you should aim for 100 rejections per year.
- Kristell Ink Publishing welcomes its new authors.
- Tobias Buckell talks about using Skype, Google Docs and other technological means to collaborate with other writers.
- Robinson Meyer traces the impact of word processors on literature.
- Penelope Redmont shares her appreciation for the writing program Scrivener.
- Penelope Redmont also shares six content ideas for author blogs.
- Tyler Malone interviews Neil Gaiman.
- Michaeline Duskova interviews Lois McMaster Bujold.
- Jo Hall interviews Jessica Rydill.
- Jo Hall also interviews Jennifer Lee Rossman.
- Jane Routley interviews Cat Sparks.
- Carl Slaughter interviews Lee Martindale.
- Andrew Leon Hudson interviews Jay Posey.
- Dag Rambraut interviews Phillip Richards.
- Dag Rambraut also interviews P.P. Corcoran.
- Steve Davidson interviews Jim C. Hines.
- Eli Lee and Gautam Bhatia interview Bodhisattva Chattopadhyay.
- Paul Weimer reviews Wolf's Empire: Gladiator by Claudia Christian and Morgan Grant Buchanan.
- Paul McAuley reviews The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.
- Tomcat in the Red Room also reviews The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.
- Tomcat in the Red Room also reviews Way Down Dark by J.P. Smythe.
- Jessica Rydill reviews Spark and Carousel by Joanne Hall.
- Jesse Hudson reviews A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar.
- Thea James reviews The Beauty by Jeremy Haun and Jason A. Hurley.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews Stolen Away by Kristin Dearborn.
- Aja Romano reviews Pounded by the Pound by Chuck Tingle.
- Ellen Datlow shares some photos of Marc Laidlaw and Daniel Braun reading at the KGB Bar in New York City.
- Anne Charnock and Matt Hill offer a transcript of a panel discussion at Mancunicon in Manchester, UK.
- Keith West shares his experiences at the Robert E. Howard Days in Cross Plains, Texas.
- Lee Breakiron also shares his experiences at the Robert E. Howard Days in Cross Plains, Texas.
- David Piske also shares his experiences at the Robert E. Howard Days in Cross Plains, Texas.
- Hidden Youth, an anthology of speculative fiction about marginalized children edited by Mikki Kendall and Chesya Burke, is looking for funding.
- Fran Evans, who volunteered at and organised many conventions, needs some help.
Science and technology:
- George Dvorsky chronicles the negative impact of the UK's vote to leave the EU on science in Britain.
- Joel Ashenbach remembers the Mars Viking mission on its fortieth anniversary.
- Researchers have spotted strange patterns in the sand of Mars.
- Excitement builds for the possibility of life on the Saturn moon Enceladus.
- The ozone hole is finally healing.
Free online fiction:
- "Traumphysik" by Monica Byrne at Tor.com.
- "The Plague Givers" by Kameron Hurley in Uncanny Magazine.
- "Bride Price" by S.E. Jones in Strange Horizons.
- Chapter 10 of Escape from the Free Republic by Floyd Looney.
Odds and ends: