Speculative fiction in general:
- Victoria Schwab shares five books about monstrous humans.
- T.W. O'Brien shares his appreciation for Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.
- Alan Brown shares his appreciation for Bill the Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison.
- Theodore Krulik shares some quotes by Roger Zelazny.
- Camestros Felapton reports about a split inside rightwing science fiction fandom.
- T.R. Napper points out how American-centric many current debates inside SFF fandom are.
- Geoff Ryman takes a look at 100 African writers of SFF.
- Andrew Liptak explains how science fiction writers predicted virtual reality.
- Kashmir Hill finds some parallels to Donald Trump's presidential campaign in Octavia Butler's novel Parable of the Talents.
- Emily Nussbaum discusses the political resonance of Game of Thrones.
- Joseph Loconte chronicles World War I's influence on J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Roy Scranton explains how he views Star Wars as a fantasy of American violence.
- Emily Asher-Perrin views Jupiter Ascending as a chilling look into a possible future.
- Leigh Butler shares her appreciation for Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II.
- Emily Asher-Perrin reports that Star Trek Beyond will feature Sulu's husband and daughter.
- Evan Narcisse explains why Steve Rogers a.k.a. the original Captain America seems to have joined Hydra now.
- Hydra or not, Brian Truitt reports that Marvel will erect a bronze statue of Captain America in a Brooklyn park to celebrate the hero's 75th anniversary.
- Graeme McMillan reports that Riri Williams, a black woman, will don the Iron Man suit in place of Tony Stark.
- Eliana Dockterman interviews Brian Michael Bendis, creator of Riri Williams.
- Caitlin Rosberg explains how self-published comics are changing the industry for the better.
- French science fiction writer Maurice Georges Dantec died aged 57.
- Horror film director Robin Hardy died aged 86.
- Noel Neill, the first actress to play Lois Lane on screen, died aged 95.
Comments about Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters:
- Alexandra Alter profiles Ben H. Winters and calls his new novel Underground Airlines "a daring science fiction take on slavery"
- Gavia Baker-Whitelaw reports that controversy is brewing around Underground Airlines.
- Alex Brown reviews Underground Airlines from an African American POV.
Comments about The BFG:
- A.O. Scott is quite enchanted by The BFG.
- Germain Lussier shares his thoughts about the movie The BFG.
- Greg Ehrbar traces the connection between Walt Disney and Roald Dahl, author of the book on which The BFG is based.
- Alas, James Whitbrook reports that The BFG isn't doing very well at the box office.
- The shortlist for the 2016 Endeavour Awards has been announced.
- Nominations for the 2016 Canopus Awards are open.
- Voting is open for the 2016 eFestival of Words.
- Various SFF Awards have been presented at Finncon 2016.
- The winners of the 2016 Robert E. Howard Foundation Awards have been announced.
- The winners of the 2016 Science Fiction Research Association Awards have been announced.
- The winnners of the CFLA Book of the Year Awards have been announced.
- The nominees for the 2016 ENnie Awards have been announced.
Writing, Publishing and Promotion:
- Hugh Howey talks about generating story ideas.
- Bishop O'Connell talks about growing as a writer and a person.
- Dean Wesley Smith explains what it takes to be a full time writer.
- Penelope Redmont shares five tips for writing when you're not in the mood.
- Sherwood Smith wonders what makes readers get invested in characters.
- Melinda Snodgrass shares her tips for creating a great ending.
- Adrian Collins explains why to use Kickstarter for your anthology project.
- David Neth shares some tips for getting reviews.
- Shellie Horst interviews Bradley P. Beaulieu
- Jo Hall interviews Jack Teng.
- Dag Rambraut interviews Gail Z. Martin.
- Matthew Drzymala interviews Jim Webster.
- Renay Williams reviews Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee.
- Joe Sherry reviews The Unlicensed Magician by Kelly Barnhill.
- Aaron Pound reviews The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin.
- Charles Payseur reviews An Alphabet of Embers, edited by Rose Fox.
- Andrew Wheeler reviews The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone.
- Germain Lussier reviews the movie The Legend of Tarzan.
- Germain Lussier also reviews the movie Swiss Army Man.
- Enough Space for Everyone Else, an anthology of comics and prose stories showcasing diverse creators, characters abnd tones, is looking for funding.
- Elements: Fire, a comic anthology by creators of colour, is looking for funding.
- Dirty Diamonds #7: Imagination, an all-female comic anthology, is looking for funding.
- Desdemona, a graphic novel series by Guiseppe di Bernardo and Andrea J. Polidori, is looking for funding.
- How To Go Steady, a book assembling dating advice from vintage romance comics, is looking for funding.
- Kevin Standalee shares his experiences as well as some cosplay photos of Westercon 69 in Portland, Oregon.
- Tony Schaab shares his experiences at InConJunction in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Science and technology:
- Chris Gerrib explains why we don't have flying cars yet.
- How often does life emerge in the universe?
- Why does Halley's Comet have such an eccentric orbit?
- What to expect when NASA's Juno spaceprobe reaches Jupiter.
- Watch a time lapse video of Juno approaching Jupiter.
- A new theory regarding the origin of Mars' moons.
- A Japanese start-up is planning to create artificial meteor showers.
Free online fiction:
- "Sic Semper, Sic Semper, Sic Semper" by Douglar F. Warrick at Tor.com
- "Magnifica Angelica Superable" by Rochita Loenen-Ruiz in Lightspeed.
- "Lazarus and the Amazing Kid Phoenix" by Jennifer Giesbrecht in Apex Magazine.
- "Fear Death by Water" by Arkady Martine in Unlikely Story.
- "The Nearly Invisible Man" by G.F. Willmetts in SF Crowsnest.
- "Wilson's Freedom Bill a.k.a. The Great Emacipator" by T.S. Paul
- "The Rebel" by Floyd Looney.
- Chapter 11 of Escape from the Free Republic by Floyd Looney.
Odds and ends: