Speculative fiction in general:
- Renay Williams shares her list of sixty essential science fiction and fantasy reads. The twist: All books are by women with one token man.
- Jo Eberhardt points out the problem with female protagonists, namely that there aren't enough of them.
- Sarah Gailey offers a defence of female villainesses.
- Jeff Somers shares his appreciation for the works of Raymond E. Feist.
- Charlotte Ahlin shares six fantasy worlds not based on Europe.
- Michael Swanwick shares five fantasy novels you won't find in the fantasy section.
- Jeff Somers shares the science fiction and fantasy novels to be found on Oprah's Book Club List.
- Paul Weimer points out that one can enjoy The Just City by Jo Walton without having read Plato.
- Alex Brown shares her appreciation for Pete's Dragon.
- Beth Elderkin reports that Jimmy Smits will repeat his role as Senator Bail Organa in Star Wars: Rogue One.
- Alexander Huls reports that the golden age of superhero movies has yet to face its greatest threats.
- Beth Elderkin reports how Tony Stark met Riri Williams, the teen girl who will be taking over the Iron Man mantle for now.
- Oliver Sava reports that Kamala Khan a.k.a. Ms. Marvel will discover fanfiction starring herself in an upcoming Avengers annual.
- The winners of the 2016 Mythopoeic Awards have been announced.
- The nominees for the 2016 Dragon Awards have been announced (not on the official website, alas). Register to vote here.
- Doris V. Sutherland comments on the Dragon Awards.
- The nominees for the 2016 WSFA Small Press Awards have been announced.
Comments on Suicide Squad:
- Christopher Orr declares that Suicide Squad is the worst of the worst.
- Jennie Ivins calls Suicide Squad a giant missed opportunity.
- Sam Riedel points out that Suicide Squad could be a feminist powerhouse, but is actually misogynist.
- Smart Bitches, Trashy Books calls Suicide Squad a mess that makes no sense.
- Esther Zuckerman reports that actress Margot Robbie, who plays Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad, deserves better than the sexist portrayal her character is given.
- Eve Peyser reports that Suicide Squad has set a new US box office record for August, which proves that people do not deserve good movies.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- P. Djeli Clark talks about submitting SFF while black.
- L.E.H. Light discusses the inherent racial bias in SFF publishing and the potential hazards of black SFF authors going indie or retreating to more welcoming spaces.
- N.K. Jemisin shares some tips for creating a more inclusive publication.
- Max Szol shares ten publishing lessons taken from Cannon Productions, the kings of lowbrow action movies.
- C.M. Subasic shares some tips for recognising and describing character emotions.
- Vikki Romano shares some tips for writing believable male characters as a woman.
- Michael Patrick Hicks talks about having too many ideas and projects and about finishing existing projects.
- Paul Kane talks about his influences.
- Alasdair Shaw talks about the difference between writing science non-fiction and science fiction.
- Rachel Cordasco interviews Ken Liu.
- Dag Rambraut interviews Kate Elliott.
- Corrina Lawson interviews Marjorie M. Liu and Sana Takeda.
- Jane Routley interviews C.A. Higgins.
- Jane Routley also interviews Danny Adams.
- Davis Ashura interviews Phil Tucker.
- David Paul Hellings interviews Zak Sabbath and Patrick Stuart
- Chris and Carl's Film Box interviews Paul Levinson.
- Mark Chitty reviews A Window Into Time by Peter F. Hamilton.
- Matthew Cavanagh reviews Spiderlight by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
- Robert Dahlen reviews Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
- Rich Rossell reviews Invasive by Chuck Wendig.
- Jeff Somers reviews The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp.
- Sam Reader reviews Night of the Animals by Bill Brown.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews The Approach by Chris Holm.
- Neth Space reviews the Los Nefilim series by T. Frohock.
- Carrie Vaughn reviews the new Ghostbusters.
- Hath No Fury, an anthology of fantasy stories about women edited by Melanie R. Meadors and J.M. Martin, is looking for funding.
- McKinzie Circle Eagle is looking for funding to purchase a vlog camera and start a YouTube channel about life in a Native American reservation.
- David Bratman shares a three part report about Mythcon 47 in San Antonio, Texas. (Part 2 and Part 3)
- Charlie Hall reports about Gen Con 2016 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- James Floyd Kelly and his fellow Geek Dads share their favourite things about Gen Con 2016.
- Aaron Zimmerman shares photos of Gen Con 2016 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Science and technology:
- There is growing evidence that Venus was once habitable.
- More about the evidence for a potential alien megastructure observed at Tabby's Star.
- Seven ways in which artificial intelligence could be beneficial.
Free online fiction:
- "Those Brighter Stars" by Mercurio D. Rivera in Lightspeed.
- "Trip Trap" by Kevin J. Anderson and Sherrilyn Kenyon in Lightspeed.
- "A Non-Hero's Guide to The Road of Monsters" by A.T. Greenblatt in Mothership Zeta.
- "Liao Zhai Hunter" by Joyce Chng.
- "Totem Poles" by Bruce Sterling and Rudy Rucker at Tor.com.
- "Wilson's Folly" by T.S. Paul.
Odds and ends: