Speculative fiction in general:
- Michael Dirda discusses how great science fiction works.
- Ian Sales talks about sense of wonder and "la petite mort de science fiction".
- Cecilia Mancuso takes a look at the pulpiness of Margaret Atwood's novel The Heart Goes Last.
- Ellen Cheeseman-Meyer offers a horse lover's guide to Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga.
- Jeff Somers shares twelve well described female characters in science fiction and fantasy.
- Alasdair Shaw shares his five favourite military science fiction series.
- Jeff Somers shares the greatest and worst megacities in science fiction.
- Matt Cates shares his personal list of the greatest science fiction authors of all time.
- Elizabeth Fitzgerald shares a list of Australian women speculative fiction writers.
- Aliette de Bodard, Alyssa Wong, Isabel Yap, John Chu, J.Y. Yang and Priya Sharma have a roundtable discussion about Asian science fiction and fantasy.
- C.J. Brightley attempts to define the term "noblebright fantasy".
- Fran Wilde shares her favourite ships and boats in fantasy.
- Bailey Miller shares seven different ways fantasy has used language as magic.
- Ruthanna Emrys, Kij Johnson, Cassandra Khaw and Joel Cunningham talk about reclaiming and rewriting H.P. Lovecraft.
- Leah Schnelbach explains just why Turkish delight of all things was portrayed as the ultimate temptation in the Narnia books.
- Katharine Trendacosta offers a shot by shot breakdown of the new trailer for Star Wars: Rogue One.
- Gary Westfahl shares his thoughts on Suicide Squad.
- Alasdair Stuart explains that Suicide Squad may be a mess, but is also a sign of the DC Movie Universe finding its voice.
- Beth Elderkin explains how the relationship between Jessica and Trish in Jessica Jones shows how strong female friendships are becoming more common on TV.
- Cate Young talks about rape, race and consent in Jessica Jones.
- Alasdair Stuart explains why Star Trek: Discovery needs to break with the traditions set by its predecessors.
- Emily Asher-Perrin suggests six stories Star Trek: Discovery could tell.
- Robert Repino shares his appreciation for the 1987 movie Innerspace.
- Lauren Zuke, storyboard artist for the animated series Steven Universe, has quit Twitter over fan harrassment.
Tributes to Kenny Baker:
- Actor Kenny Baker, best known for playing R2-D2 in six Star Wars films, has died aged 81.
- Beth Elderkin shares a tribute to Kenny Baker.
Comments on the Fireside Fiction report on the state of black speculative fiction:
- Alison Flood reports about the structural racism in SFF short fiction publishing revealed by the Fireside Fiction report.
- Bryan Washington also discusses the Fireside Fiction report about the gross underrepresentation of black SFF writers.
- Andrew Liptak also discusses the Fireside Fiction report.
- Camestros Felapton responds to rightwing criticism of the Fireside Fiction report in a four part post (part 2, part 3 and part 4).
- The winners of the 2016 eFestival of Words have been announced.
- The winners of the 2016 Aurora Awards have been announced.
- The winners of the 2015 Coyotl Awards have been announced.
- Beth Elderkin weighs in on the Dragon Awards nominations.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Stephanie Saulter talks about the magic of stories.
- Leanna Renee Hieber explains how her writing and her jewelery making inform each other.
- Felicity Harley offers a journey through a science fiction writer's mind.
- N.P. Martin explains why systems are better than goals when it comes to writing success.
- Locus interviews David D. Levine.
- Locus also interviews Sam J. Miller.
- Boris Kachka interviews Colson Whitehead.
- Jason Kehe interviews Patrick Rothfuss.
- Nicole Hill interviews A. Lee Martinez.
- Dag Rambraut interviews Naomi Foyle.
- Dag Rambraut also interviews Stephanie R. Sorensen.
- Dag Rambraut also interviews J.M. Lee.
- Michael A. Ventrella interviews Paul Levinson.
- Jessica Meats interviews Helen Comerford.
- Bridgid Alverson interviews Eric Orchard.
- Renay Williams reviews Poisoned Blade by Kate Elliott.
- Rob Bedford reviews The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.
- Ceridwen Christensen reviews Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal.
- Ceridwen Christensen reviews The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin.
- Fantasy Book Café also reviews The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin.
- Fantasy Book Café also reviews The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi.
- Andrew Leon Hudson reviews Outriders by Jay Posey.
- Rob Bedford reviews The Wolf Road by Beth Lewis.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews The Jersey Devil by Hunter Shea.
- Camestros Felapton reviews The Nightmare Stacks by Charles Stross.
- John Langan reviews The Fireman by Joe Hill.
- Jamie Sawyer reviews Roboteer by Alex Lamb.
- David Frese reports about MidAmeriCon II, the 2016 WorldCon in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Ann Leckie shares some photos of MidAmeriCon II.
- Kevin Standalee shares some photos of MidAmeriCon II.
- Rachel Acks is liveblogging the WSFS business meeting at MidAmeriCon II. (Part II)
- File 770 has an open comment thread for those who are at WorldCon and those who would like to be.
- Jamie Todd Rubin shares some tips for having fun at WorldCon.
- Jamie Sawyer shares his experiences at Nine World Geekfest in London, UK.
- Mark Brown reports about the science fiction exhibition Into the Unknown at the Barbican Centre in London.
- Bob Mayer shares ten thoughts on Thrillerfest 2016 in New York City.
Science and technology:
- A Chinese-Austrian quantum satellite has been launched.
- So have we detected an alien megastructure or not?
- Is the real reason we haven't found any aliens so far that humans came first?
- There may be an earth-like exo-planet less than five lightyears away.
- NASA's first bipedal robot, supposed to assist a manned Mars mission, will be called Valkyrie.
Free online fiction:
- "Superior" by Jessica Lack at The Book Smugglers.
- "Taste the Singularity at the Food Truck Circus" by Jeremiah Tolbert in Lightspeed.
- "The Red Piano" by Delia Sherman in Lightspeed.
- "An Ocean The Color of Bruises" by Isabel Yap in Uncanny Magazine.
- "The Boy Who Made Flowers" by S.V. Divya at Boing Boing.
- "The Weight of Memories" by Liu Cixin, translated by Ken Liu at Tor.com.
- "Up from Hell" by David Drake at Tor.com.
- "The Other Wilson: Hot Times" by T.S. Paul.
Odds and ends:
- Watch a trailer for Arrival, the screen adaptation of Ted Chiang's "The Story of Your Life".
- Watch a trailer for Hidden Figures.
- Check out this illustrated guide to all 704 deaths in Game of Thrones.
- See actor Kyle MacLaghlan explain the plot of Dune in emojis.
- Watch a video of Kylo Ren reacting to the Star Wars: Rogue One trailer.
- Watch a fanmade book trailer for Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.
- Watch a teaser trailer for a potential animated Firefly series.