Monday, July 16, 2018

Glitch (Glitch, Book 1) by Victor Deckard

Release date: June 19, 2018
Subgenre: LitRPG, Post-apocalyptic 

About Glitch:

 

 Max, a rather plain guy, finds himself inside a post-apocalyptic survival roleplaying videogame. He has no idea how he has ended up in the virtual reality or how to quit it. He has no choice but to play the game.

Shortly afterward, he learns that the game is quite harsh and cruel. Max finds out that in order to survive he has to scavenge, gather various resources, craft warm clothes and armor, upgrade weapons and vehicles, and so on.

Moreover, the entire game world is a full-on PvP zone. So Max has to not only fight brutal mutants but also protect himself against gamers who have teamed up in order to ratchet up their chances of survival as well as against high-leveled players who take great pleasure in murdering newbies.

And all the while Max has been trying to find out what has befallen him, how he has gotten in the videogame, and whether or not there is any chance of exiting the game. Bit by bit he gleans more and more information about the game. He finds out that the game is full of bugs. Later on he also learns that he himself is some kind of a glitch. Unlike all the other players, he feels pain in the game and can interact with some game objects while all the other players cannot…

 

Excerpt:

 

I woke up with a start. Brilliant light assaulted my eyes at once. I involuntarily closed them again. After a few moments, I gingerly raised my eyelids. As light was gradually getting fainter, my surroundings were getting more visible.
          On looking around, I found myself in some vertical container. In front of me was a convex transparent full-length door that let me see only a little of the room through it. I got as close to the door as cramped confines of the container allowed me to do so, almost flattening my nose against the cold surface, and set about pounding on the door with my hand clenched into the fist.
          “Is anybody there?” I shouted in hoarse voice. “Let me out!”
          Nobody answered and no one came to my aid. It seemed that this room as well as any adjacent ones were altogether devoid of any occupants.
          I felt a wave of panic wash over my body.
          “How do I get outta here?” I mumbled to myself.
          The thought had barely crossed my mind when a hissing sound filled the air. Then the door drew forward a few inches away from me and flipped open like the door of a cabinet. 
          I stepped out of the container and the frigid floor instantly made me constantly shift my weight from one foot to the other. Only then, having cast my gaze downward, did I realize I had almost no clothes on. I wore only a pair of close-fitting underpants.
          I quickly looked around to find myself in an elongated and rather spacious room. It was brightly illuminated, yet I didn’t notice any sources of light. Containers ran the length of the two walls. They bore resemblance to cryogenic pods from sci-fi flicks. Unlike the pod I’d just climbed out, the others were closed tight, although all of them were empty.
          Numerous questions were preying on my mind. What was happening? How had I gotten in here? And what was this place, anyway?
          To make sure my memory served me correctly I commenced going over various facts about my life. So I went by Max. Twenty years old. Have been studying at Technological University of Michigan. Loved, or more specifically, totally adored sci-fi. Well, my memory seemed to be okay. I decided to turn my attention toward the most recent events in my life.
          I had suffered from excruciating headaches a few days prior. Decided to have my head X-rayed for any brain injures. And something happened when I arrived at the city clinic. I was lying on a bed, patiently waiting for the X-ray generator to kick in. Then brilliant light blazed and after that my world went dark. On regaining consciousness, I found myself in this weird place.
Did I suffer from memory loss? Had something happened after my visiting the clinic? I might have been abducted and moved over to this place. But why didn’t I have any memories of my leaving the clinic? Maybe I had been brained with some heavy bludgeon? I brought my right hand up to my head and felt it gingerly. Still, I didn’t find any bumps, lacerations, or welts. So I hadn’t been given a smack on my head. So why didn’t I remember anything about my having gotten in this place?

 

Amazon

 

About Victor Deckard: 

 

Victor Deckard has become an avid reader in his childhood and since then has a craving for writing fiction. He enjoys reading keeping-you-on-the-edge-of-your-chair thrillers filled with action and spiced up with sci-fi or fantasy themes. His all-time favorite authors are Raymond Chandler, Philip K. Dick, and H.P. Lovecraft.

Victor Deckard’s first fiction story is called Outbreak. It is an action-packed urban-fantasy novella with some horror themes.  Now he's working on his survival post-apocalyptic LitRPG series called Glitch.

Facebook | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment