Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Awakening (Book 1 of the Evaran Chronicles) by Adair Hart

Release date: September 6, 2015
Subgenre: Space Opera

About The Awakening:

 

A heavily damaged alien research vessel in the Andromeda galaxy is hurtling toward a planet. The aliens should not be there. They have been traveling through space and time, abducting apex predators and sticking them in virtual simulations for research. The problem is the virtual simulations are powering down, unleashing the specimens on the ship.

Dr. Albert Snowden and his niece, Emily, were abducted by the aliens. They are visited by a mysterious being named Evaran in the last minutes of the virtual simulation.He has decided to interfere in this timeline-changing event and rescue them.

Stopping the ship from crashing into the planet before getting to Evaran's ship is one issue. Navigating the apex predators on the loose is another. To make matters worse, Jerzan Graduul, infamous leader of the Bloodbore mercenary pack, has boarded the ship in search of salvage opportunities, and has noticed Evaran's ship. The hunt begins.

Excerpt:

 

Evaran surveyed them with taut lips and furrowed eyebrows. “Good. We should all be feeling a bit more relaxed. Now, I know this is rough, but I believe introductions are in order.” Evaran pointed to himself. “My name is Evaran. I would be what you term an alien, but it is more complicated than that. I am a traveler, and I help those in need, such as yourselves.” He pointed at Dr. Snowden. “This is Dr. Albert Snowden, a professor of astronomy at a college in Columbus, Ohio, and to his right,” he said, pointing to Emily, “is his niece, Emily Snowden, who is a history student at the same college.” He then pointed to Sanjay. “This is Sanjay Chandrakar, a computer science student at a college in Cincinnati, Ohio.” He then pointed to Jay. “And finally, this is Jay Beerman, a former military member who is now a truck driver and lives in Southern Indiana.”
Jay shuddered and glanced at Dr. Snowden, then at Sanjay, then turned toward Evaran. He flung his right arm into the air. “You’re an alien? Are you fucking kidding me?”
Evaran raised a hand out to Jay. “I am not done yet. Bear with me.” He stared at the ground for a moment before speaking, then looked back up to them. “This is going to sound incredible, but here is the situation. On February 4, 2012, around 6 p.m., you were all abducted from a small stretch of highway I-70 by an alien race known as the Krotovore. They put everyone into a virtual simulation for research purposes. Your minds were altered so the transition was seamless. While in the virtual simulation, they injected nanobots into everyone to help maintain your bodies. Then on February 25, 2012, three weeks later, they sustained some damage before entering a space-time rift that instantly took them to the Andromeda galaxy. However, it ended up being one year into the future as well, with the date being March 2, 2013. I followed them through the rift and boarded their ship, and here we are.”
Dr. Snowden’s eyes blinked rapidly as he fixed his gaze on Evaran. “That’s utterly ridiculous.”
Emily’s shoulders slumped as she looked down. “They abducted us on our way back from Dad’s grave,” she murmured.
A pang shot through Dr. Snowden’s body as he remembered the day Dan died. They had buried him in the town they grew up in. It was one of the hardest days of Dr. Snowden’s life, but this day was shaping up to be a close second. He gritted his teeth at the thought of the possibility that the Krotovore abducted them on their visit to Dan’s grave on the anniversary of his death. Dr. Snowden put his left arm around Emily and gave a light squeeze.
Jay shook his head. His eyes were wide, eyebrows raised, and lips slightly parted. “What?”
Evaran extended his hands and did a calming motion with them. “That is the current situation. I have no reason to lie to you. You will be able to verify for yourself once we leave this room.”


Amazon


About Adair Hart:

I have lived all over the world as a military brat. It gave me an interesting perspective of the world growing up. I currently reside in Columbus , Ohio and work in the information technology field during the day. My free time is dedicated to reading, writing, gaming, walking, learning, and watching cool series! I had a setting I had been kicking around in my head for the last twenty years or so. It wasn't until the last ten that it really began to solidify. My journey into writing began in 2013, and since then, I have worked feverishly on translating my world to the written word.

I love science, and am an avid reader of it. I will always strive to include it where I can amongst the more fantastical elements that I need to extrapolate on (ex. time rifts). Being from the tech world, there is also a heavy tech element to it. This ties into the theme of knowledge is power. I also love horror, so will strive to add elements of that as well.


Website | Facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment