Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Klone's Stronghold by Joyce Reynolds-Ward

 Release date: June 25, 2018
Subgenre: Urban Fantasy

About Klone's Stronghold:

 

In a world of supernatural beings, not knowing what you are is dangerous.

After Reeni Dutta's ex-husband Karl attacks her at a music festival, she finds a refuge teaching cryptid construct children at Klone's Stronghold in northeastern Oregon's isolated Bucket Mountains. But things are not as they seem at the Stronghold, from the older proprietors of a nearby store and the Stronghold's leader Alexander Reed Klone, to Reeni herself. She discovers it's not just Karl who seeks to control who and what she is, but forces from her past that threaten her present. Can she learn the truth about herself and do what is needed in time to defend the Stronghold?


Excerpt:

 

Gonna be a nice weekend for the Mudhole show!” Trina said from the front passenger seat, half-turning her head so that I saw her in profile. “Don’t you think so, Rocky?”
“Probably,” Rocky said absently, focusing on the two-lane country road winding its way through grassy farmlands and occasional oak patches. “Might get a little coastal fog in the morning, though. The Hangout’s close enough to the Coast Range for that. You did bring warm coverups, right, Reeni?”
“You’re never going to let me forget that raft trip, are you?” I bit back the sharp edge that threatened to creep into my voice. Rocky hadn’t known me before Karl, King of Glamping. “I know the coastal climate. Trina and I used to camp at Cape Lookout all the time. I just didn’t know about desert climate then.”
Before Karl. Before husbands. I studiously stared at the patch of bigleaf maple trees that sheltered a farmhouse as tension tightened my gut. It’s going to be all right, I told myself. You’re entitled to a life after Karl.
Trina slapped Rocky’s thigh. “That spare tent and sleeping bag we brought for Reeni were originally hers, goofball. Just because Karl didn’t camp doesn’t mean that Reeni hasn’t.”
Rocky laughed. “Being chivalrous meant I froze my butt. Just making sure. Sorry, Reeni.” He slowed the car. “Crud. Protestors. Better get down, Reeni.”
That tense sensation in my gut cinched down tighter. Another worry. The Mudhole band catered to halflings and supernaturals as much as they did full humans. It made for a fun show, but….
Not everyone was tolerant of tolerance.
“Can you see who it is?” I asked Trina.
She knew what I meant. “Yeah.” She leaned forward as Rocky slowed even more, following the line of cars turning onto the gravel drive leading to the Hangout. “Might be all right. Looks like it might be just the usual land use protestors.”
Now those were protestors I could handle. The Hangout wasn’t particularly popular with two of their conservative farm neighbors. As a result the number of shows like the Mudhole’s three-day festival were limited.
“Whew.” I settled back in my seat. Still, slender strands of tension threaded through my gut. I wasn’t going to dismiss that worry until we were complete inside the venue. Something’s wrong. I didn’t know what it was. Yet.
“Don’t get too comfortable,” Trina cautioned as we drew closer. “There’s more than the usual protestors—oh crud.”
Right then I almost threw up. “What?”
“Anti-supernaturals.” She peered closer. “And they’re not all white—shit! Reeni, get down! Religious and I think I see your uncle!”
“Shit!” I lay flat on my side in the back seat, pulling the just-in-case blanket over me. “Anyone besides Jayanesh?” I asked, once I was certain I was covered. Dread cinched tighter on me. This weekend was supposed to be fun. Not a family intervention.
“Sheriff’s keeping them back,” Trina said. “But yeah. Pastor Ananda’s there.”
“My parents?” I choked back the sick bitter taste in my mouth.
“No—wait. Your father.”


Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Apple iTunes | Scribd | 24symbols | Angus & Robertson


About Joyce Reynolds-Ward:

Joyce Reynolds-Ward is a speculative fiction writer who splits her time between Enterprise and Portland, Oregon. Her short stories have appeared in Children of a Different Sky, Steam. And Dragons, Tales from an Alien Campfire, River, How Beer Saved the World 1, Fantasy Scroll Magazine, and Trust and Treachery among others. Her books include Shadow Harvest, Alien Savvy, Netwalking Space, Pledges of Honor, Challenges of Honor, and Klone’s Stronghold. Joyce recently completed editing her first anthology, Pulling Up Stakes. Besides writing, Joyce enjoys reading, quilting, horses, skiing, and outdoor activities.


Website | Blog | Author Central


No comments:

Post a Comment