Saturday, September 29, 2018

Things You Need by Kevin Lucia

Release date: September 28, 2018
Subgenre: Horror

About Things You Need:

 

“Kevin Lucia is this generation's answer to Charles L. Grant.” Brian Keene

The things we want are so very rarely the things we need.

Clifton Heights, a modest Adirondack town, offers many unique attractions. Arcane Delights sells both paperbacks and hard-to-find limited editions. The Skylark Diner serves the best home-cooked meals around, with friendly service and a smile. Every August, Mr. Jingo’s County Fair visits, to the delight of children and adults. In essence, Clifton Heights is the quintessential small American town. Everyone knows everyone else, and everyone is treated like family. It is quiet, simple, and peaceful.

But shadows linger here. Flitting in dark corners, from the corner of the eye. If you walk down Main Street after dark, the slight scrape of shoes on asphalt whispers you're not alone, but when you look over your shoulder, no one is there. The moon shines high and bright in the night sky, but instead of throwing light, it only seems to make the shadows lengthen.

Children disappear. Teens run away. Hunters get lost in the woods with frightening regularity. Husbands go mad, and wives vanish in the dead of night. And still, when the sun rises in the morning, you are greeted by townspeople with warm waves and friendly smiles, and the shivers pass as everything seems fresh and new...

Until night falls once more.

Handy's Pawn and Thrift sits several blocks down from Arcane Delights. Like any thrift store, its wares range from the mundane to the bizarre. By daylight, it seems just another slice of small town Americana. But in its window hangs a sign which reads: We Have Things You Need. And when a lonely traveling salesman comes looking for something he desperately wants, after normal visiting hours, after night has fallen, he will face a harsh truth among the shelves of Handy’s Pawn and Thrift: the things we want are rarely the things we need.

Proudly represented by Crystal Lake Publishing—Tales from the Darkest Depths.

 

Excerpt:

 

It was my first visit to Clifton Heights Junior/Senior High School. Right from the start, I thought Clifton Heights was a strange town. Nothing obviously wrong with it. Not on the surface, anyway. Place was the same as any of the hundreds of towns I’d visited over the last twenty years. Homey little department and hardware stores, restaurants, and knick-knack shops. A town hall, three churches, the requisite small town diner and two high schools. A library, a lumber mill, and a little creek running past the town, with a bridge over it called Black Creek Bridge.
There was a modest lake—Clifton Lake—to the east, and folks referred to the hills as “the Heights.” The clean streets were patrolled often by Sheriff Baker and his deputies. He seemed a decent guy. Certainly not the stereotypical small-town crook, who ran his little kingdom with an iron fist. Trust me; I ran into plenty of that sort back in the day.
The students of Clifton Heights High were a bunch of hard-working go-getters, the kind which usually brought in droves of subscriptions. Right from the start I knew they would deliver.
The teachers and administrators were friendly and accommodating. The kick-off went well, the student body enthused, and everything was running five-by-five. Normally, I would’ve headed out to a bar (in the next town over, of course, always in the next town over), and settled for Ms. 40-Maybe-50. If she looked okay, of course, and if I’d had enough Jose Cuervo.
For some reason when I returned to my cabin at The Motor Lodge, I started to feel restless. I’m not sure why. Like I said, there was something off in Clifton Heights. It didn’t make sense at the time. It was quaint, homey, rustic but not a tourist trap. The people were friendly. The kids at the high school had been outgoing. The English teacher there—a Gavin Patchett—had taken me out to dinner at The Skylark. The meal had been everything you’d expect from a small town diner; heaping portions of great food. When I’d left The Skylark, I was full-bellied and content, maybe interested in a little company later.
On my way back to The Motor Lodge, I started feeling twitchy. Uneasy. As if I was being watched or something. Sounds crazy, I suppose. Anyway, even after showering and prepping for my night out, I still couldn’t settle down. My good mood had vanished. I no longer wanted to chat up an aging bar whore with a loose grin and glazed-over eyes. At the same time, I was far too restless for sleep.
So I found myself driving aimlessly around town.
Which was strange.
I’d never before had any desire to explore the town I was visiting. I usually checked into my motel the night before, maybe hit a bar one or two towns over, called it an early night so I could wake up fresh the next morning. The next day I’d wake up early, get myself organized, head to the school, and do my thing. After, I’d return to the motel, eat somewhere then head out to another bar a few towns over and maybe score some female company. The next morning, I’d be on my way to another gig.
I’d never bothered to see more of the towns I visited, so I didn’t understand why I was doing so that night. Maybe I was curious. You never know if something interesting might be lurking in a humble little town, right?
As I turned onto Asher Street, I pulled my rental up to the store at the end. It appeared to be the only one open. Handy’s Pawn and Thrift. That was interesting: a thrift store in a small town open at 8:30 at night, when everything else appeared closed.
At the time, I didn’t know why I’d stopped there. The joint caught my eye for some reason. Maybe there was something valuable inside, hiding in all the junk. Treasure among trash, y’know?
But something else was at work. I felt pulled there. By what, I had no idea at the time. Now I know, of course.
It was Fate.
I was meant to stop at Handy’s.
And nothing would ever be the same after.
 

Amazon

 

About Kevin Lucia: 

 

Kevin Lucia is the Reviews Editor for Cemetery Dance Magazine. His column Revelations is featured on Cemetery Dance Online. His short fiction has appeared in several anthologies, most recently with Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker, and Robert McCammon.

He’s currently finishing his Creative Writing Masters Degree at Binghamton University. He teaches high school English and lives in Castle Creek, New York with his family.

His first short story collection, Things Slip Through was published November 2013, followed by Devourer of Souls in June 2014 and Through a Mirror, Darkly, June 2015. His novella Mystery Road is forthcoming from Cemetery Dance Publications.

 

Website

No comments:

Post a Comment