Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Rise of a Necromancer by Rosie Scott

Release date: March 31, 2019
Sub-genres: Dark Fantasy, Horror, Sword and Sorcery


About Rise of a Necromancer:


Many people want Cerin Heliot dead.

While studying to be a mage at a prestigious university, Cerin is seized by an obsession with necromancy. When his secret knowledge of the forbidden magic is discovered, he becomes one of the nation’s most-wanted criminals overnight, sending his life into a tragic downhill spiral.

In this gritty story of survival, Cerin learns the hard way that to make it in a cruel world, he must become its match. Rather than run from the law forever, he builds an undead army to face it and make it fear his name. When all living loved ones are lost, Cerin must rise to be a master of the dead.



Excerpt:


Steel skidded along steel as the orc and I locked ourselves in a deadly embrace. Just behind my foe, one skeleton and two fleshy zombies hobbled to our fight to aid me. The orc gritted his teeth until his incisors broke open his lip, doubling down on his weapon. I did the same with both hands on my scythe, buying time.

A mercenary corpse was first to defend me, hacking into the orc's torso wound to deepen it. The orc roared and broke our embrace so suddenly I nearly fell into him. As he spun and grabbed the corpse's head with his free hand, I screamed hoarsely with effort and sliced my scythe through the air at his right arm. The curved blade hooked around his inner elbow. The wound sprayed blood even before I jerked my weapon back, splitting tendon and cutting through veins until the orc dropped his ax.

The orc paid little attention to his wounded arm, his mind set on defeating the zombie defender. He lifted the corpse up in the air by its cranium before slamming it into the forest floor headfirst. The skull exploded like a grape, unleashing a geyser of corroding brains. Bits of bone ricocheted off surrounding trees like pebbles of marrow.

Weaponless, the orc spun to me and threw a punch. I managed to hold my ground as it shattered my magic shield. I situated my scythe on my belt and summoned spells in both palms to refresh protections for me and my minions. Then, since this orc had been such a nuisance, I raised the corpse he'd just defeated to anger him.

Tendrils slithered over moist mosses to do my bidding, finding the bits of shattered skull and encapsulating them in a cool hug. Pieces of bone rolled over blood splattered plant-life to reunite. The mercenary corpse rose, leaving its unnecessary brain matter on the forest floor and shambling forth with a skull that now appeared made of as much black magic as it was bone.

An angered huff burst from the orc's nostrils as he saw his victory was short-lived. I smirked in response.

The orc flew at me with a flurry of punches. I continually backed away, leeching from him with both hands, satisfaction filling me as I watched his movements slow. Minions chased after him like scavenger animals, drawing blood from new wounds. I directed the dead to target his legs, and they loyally complied. With one dramatic sweep of a scimitar, a corpse dealt the incapacitating blow across the back of the orc's knee, just between shredded leather armor. The brute fell face-first to the forest floor, still heaving enraged breaths.

I dispelled my magic and grabbed my scythe once more. I walked up to the orc's right side, avoiding his good arm as he tried to snatch my boot. With a cry of adrenaline, I brought the scythe down in a curved arc, swinging the blade between his vulnerable throat and the ground. Blood audibly drained with the cut, but he only gurgled on it. I put a boot to his upper back and jerked the blade upward, cutting through the trachea. Wheezing echoed out before the orc finally went still.



About Rosie Scott:



Rosie Scott has been writing novels for over twenty years and publishing since 2010. She writes unconventional adult dystopian, fantasy, and science fiction novels which are partial to themes such as warfare, gray morality, and rebellion. Obsessed with the human psyche and how experiences, events, and trauma can transform a person, most of her books have protagonists who walk just off the path of being a hero. Rosie loves building characters from the ground up with different viewpoints and backgrounds, having them interact uniquely with one another, and then playing with their mortality in her novels because she believes no character should ever be invincible.
Rosie’s novels tend to explore darker themes and are not for the faint of heart. No philosophical question is unable to be examined. No character is immune to death. No hero is truly righteous. Rosie has a penchant for writing unapologetically strong characters, brutal inconveniences, and crude humor, and she will forever test limits by exploring questionable morality and scenes of gore. Rosie loves entertaining with long battle sequences and witty banter, but she also seeks to plant questions in her readers’ minds that will stick with them for long after a book is read.
Besides writing, Rosie spends her time video gaming via her gaming PC and twelve consoles, collecting medieval and video game weapon replicas, sketching the characters she creates, and building models of medieval siege weapons and cars. If she isn’t writing about bloody warfare and conquest in one of her novels, she is probably leading an army with a mouse and keyboard.
Rosie Scott is continually writing to please her fans. She invites you to visit her blog at http://www.rosiescottbooks.wordpress.com, where fan art, timelines, maps, and fun facts about her books await. You may also follow her mailing list at http://eepurl.com/c6SRB9 to be informed of new releases. All business inquiries can be sent to rosiescottbooks@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment