Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Heist Online by Victor Deckard

Release date: June 14, 2019
Subgenre: LitRPG, Science fiction mystery

About Heist Online:

 

Heist Online is an action-packed virtual reality video game about cops and criminals.

If you want to play on the wrong side of the law, you can participate in a variety of heists. You can rob banks, jewelry stores, armored cash vehicles, etc. If you prefer to play as a cop, however, your task is to stop robbers.

Striker plays as a heister. When he and his teammates have been returning from a successful robbery, another team of heisters has attacked them and taken their money away.

Striker then finds out that he and his friends aren’t the only players whom the mysterious gang has robbed. Some of the victims want to get even with them. Still, nobody has achieved any success in tracking them down yet. No one knows who they are, why they rob other heisters, or where to find them.

A few days later, when Striker escapes with stolen money after another successful robbery, he happens to run into the mysterious gang again. They try to rob him, but he manages to repel the attack and ward the players off.

Later on, Striker finds out that the members of the mysterious gang have trashed his home out of revenge. After that, he gets determined to hunt them down. He has a score to settle.

 

Excerpt:

 

Chapter One

          Heist Online had finally come out on October 27, 2093. I had been waiting for this virtual reality video game to be released for six years. So it was no wonder I bought the game the moment it became available for purchase. While the game was downloading, I prepared my gaming pod for use.
          I had watched all the gameplay videos and trailers for Heist Online, so I knew what the game was about. It was set in a fictional American state called Ahyoka. Also, the game took place in a historical setting, namely in 2020. Way back when, people had still lived on Earth, hadn’t colonized Moon or Mars yet, and had been driving automobiles and using cell phones. There had not even been virtual reality video games yet. Well, there had already been some VR games, but they had been way less sophisticated than the contemporary ones.
          Heist Online was about heisters and cops, hence the name of the game. I was very fond of the setting and the main concept of the game, so I was very excited for this game.
Finally, the game finished downloading and installing. I wasted no time getting into my gaming pod and immersing myself in virtual reality. As my physical body went to sleep, my consciousness entered the game.
After the logos of the developer and the game disappeared, a message popped up before my eyes:
> Do you want to play the game as a cop or a heister?
Since I had watched all the trailers over the years, I had long since decided that I would play as a heister first. It seemed like more fun. Still, I wanted to try everything in this game. So after I played all the playable heister classes and reached max level of each of them, I would switch to a cop.
After I picked a side, another message emerged in front of me.
> Pick a nickname.
          Out of habit, I decided to name myself Striker. I had been using this word for my nickname in every VR video game I played since I was a kid. I couldn’t even remember why I had picked this name in the first place. Not that it really mattered. I just liked the sound of the word. Moreover, like they said, old habits died hard. So I chose the name and the page before my eyes refreshed.
> The nickname Striker is available!
> (Do you want to pick this nickname: Yes/No)
The game had just come out, so it was no wonder that nobody had picked this nickname yet. After I confirmed my choice, the text vanished and I finally found myself in the game.
I looked around to get my bearings. I was in some room that looked like a basement. It contained no pieces of furniture except for a computer desk and a chair. Next to the computer monitor on the table lay a set of keys attached to a metal ring and a cell phone.
Before I could do anything, a message appeared before my eyes.
> Do you want to play the training mission? (*)
> (Initiate the training mission: Yes/No)
> (*) Note: If you play Heist Online for the first time, it is recommended that you complete the training mission.
As soon as I agreed, I found myself in the street, standing on the sidewalk. It was broad daylight. Traffic was light. Passers-by walked up and down the sidewalks. Nobody seemed to pay me any attention. Judging from their synchronized movements, all of the passers-by were NPCs, non-player characters.
On the other side of the street, there was a small convenience store. Except for this building, all the others were almost identical.
Another message emerged before my eyes.
> There is a convenience store on the other side of the street. Your mission is to rob the place. More accurately, there is a safe with $50,000 inside it somewhere in the store. You need to locate the safe and steal the money.

 

Amazon 

 

About Victor Deckard: 

 

Victor Deckard has become an avid reader in his childhood and since then has a craving for writing fiction. He enjoys reading keeping-you-on-the-edge-of-your-chair thrillers filled with action and spiced up with sci-fi or fantasy themes. His all-time favorite authors are Raymond Chandler, Philip K. Dick, and H.P. Lovecraft.

Victor Deckard’s first fiction story is called Outbreak. It is an action-packed urban-fantasy novella with some horror themes.  Now he's working on his survival post-apocalyptic LitRPG series called Glitch.

Facebook | Twitter

 

No comments:

Post a Comment