Thursday, October 10, 2019

Shadow Magic (Hidden Magic, Book 1) by Jayne Hawke

Reelease date: October 10, 2019
Subgenre: Urban fantasy

About Shadow Magic

 

Looking for a kick-ass bounty hunter? You found her.

I’m the best at what I do. If a shifter goes feral, or a fae kills the wrong innocent, then I’ll be the one to hunt them down. It’s a dangerous gig, but I do what's necessary to keep the roof over our heads.

Unfortunately, I’m at the bottom of the bounty hunter pay scale thanks to the need to keep my heritage hidden. If anyone ever found out what I am, and what I can do, the entire fae territories would be coming for my head. That means we live from pay cheque to pay cheque. So when the most dangerous fae in the country chooses me to help him with a case, I have no choice but to say yes.

Ethan Hale is a cu sith, one of the finest assassins in the fae territories. If he finds out what I am, he’ll have me begging for death. And yet, I accepted the job to work with him so I can figure out who’s stealing god magic and selling it. People are dying, and it’s down to us to put at end to it.

Now, I have to work alongside the sinfully-sexy fae while trying to keep my secrets under wraps. The closer we get to unravelling this mystery, the closer I am to losing everything. One wrong step and it’ll all be over.

 

Excerpt:


The streets seemed particularly dark as I tucked my hands into the pockets of my leather jacket and started heading home. The old city changed when the sun went down. Most sensible people locked their doors and stayed inside until the sun rose again. Luckily for me, I was a bounty hunter. It was my job to hunt down those who went bump in the night. The pay was pretty abysmal, but it kept a roof over our heads. Mostly.
The pale golden lights flickered slightly overhead, and I sighed. Those lights were fae made. They only flickered when some dick was screwing with the magic inherent in them. That meant that someone was playing around with big magic. I really hoped my ice cream wasn’t going to melt, I’d saved up for two weeks to be able to afford that little luxury.
My own magic swelled within me. I reflexively pushed it back down. If anyone knew I had that, who my father was… well, that wasn’t worth thinking about. I needed to watch over Matt. He deserved a good life. Footsteps were closing in behind me. The lights overhead flickered again, and I drew my daggers. They were a gift from my father. To anyone else, they looked like a normal pair of silver daggers with a pretty engraving running down the middle. The engraving was swirling interconnected loops, or so Matt had told me. When I looked at them, I saw sharp-edged symbols that brought out my magic.
Dad was a fallen god. One of war and destruction. That gave me an edge in a fight. Unfortunately, I couldn’t use it very often. There were too many people who could read and feel magic in this world. The blades hid the nature of my magic if I was careful, but there were limits.
I could hear his breathing now. Turning a corner, I walked into the darkness of a narrow alley. It was a short cut home, and it would draw him out into making his move. The tingle of magic danced along my tongue just before I heard him grunt. I ducked down and felt the breeze of his fist flying through the air just above my head, followed a second later by a subdued snarl of pain as he caught the blades I thrust back underhand into what I presumed were his thighs. This was what I was made for. A grin spread across my face unbidden, my aches and pains from the day hunting the pixie slipping away. Spinning around, I threw my daggers in a wide arc, hoping for another lucky strike. No dice. I saw a man around my age with his face twisted into pure rage. Spittle ran down his stubble-coated chin as he narrowed his eyes at me.
“I need more. You have it,” he snarled.
I had no idea what he was talking about. I had no money. What else could he have been after?

 

Amazon

 

About Jayne Hawke:

Jayne Hawke is an English author currently living in Ireland with two huge fluffy cats and a wonderful husband. When she isn't writing urban fantasy she's baking, binge-watching something on Netflix, playing with her cats, or curled up with a good book.

When Jayne was a little girl she looked forward to Saturdays. Not because it meant a day away from school, but because it meant a trip to the library. Her love of books bloomed into her determination to be an author so she could give readers an escape from the real world.

 

Facebook | Author Central

No comments:

Post a Comment