Wednesday, June 10, 2020

The Influencer by R.T.W. Lipkin

Release date: June 10, 2020
Subgenre: Near Future Science Fiction, Science Fiction Romance

About The Influencer:

 

His secret was that he created her. Her secret is much bigger.


Beautiful. Mysterious. Unreachable.

Broadcasting from her perfectly curated room, she’s an instant sensation. Everyone wants to buy what she has. Wear her jewelry. Use her makeup. So they can be like her. Look like her. Feel close to her. Know her.

But no one can really know Ash. She’s just an illusion. A string of code I created to sell things and make money.

It was the perfect plan.

Until she starts going off script, saying things I didn’t program her to say.
Knowing things she can’t know.
Feeling things she can’t feel.

Or can she?

 

Excerpt:

 

“It’s a new world for me,” I said.
I smiled the secret smile, the one that was just for my viewers. There are now millions of screenshots of me with this smile. I’ve been called the Mona Lisa of influencers, even though I look nothing like her. And my name is Ash.
“Introduce yourself, for fuck’s sake,” Claude said, breathing the very of himself into me.
I laughed and smiled again. I did know what I was supposed to be doing even if it would take me a while to get there. Then, in the when when I didn’t know who I was but I knew what I was supposed to do.
So I executed that exact doing.
“I’m Ash,” I said. “I’d like to invite you into my secret world.” I looked past the camera with a look that was enticing, inviting, marginally seductive, and yet nonthreatening. Friendly and simultaneously otherworldly.
“Now you’ve got it,” Claude said, and a strange feeling rose up through me. Then I had no clue what those sensations might have been. Now I know all too very.
I got up and turned my back to the camera and walked toward the window. The drapes were closed, and they’d remain closed for a long time. That was part of the lure. What could be on the other side? Even those not all that interested in me—those random very few—would make sure to watch my vidcast’s first showing of the day to see if I’d open the curtains this time.
I leaned up against the windowsill. The camera followed me. I wore a tracker so the camera was always in the correct position.
I noticed that I could feel not just the saturnia necklace as its perfect weight pressed into my neck but I could also feel a stray hair. I brushed it away from my forehead.
“Excellent,” Claude said.
“It’s lonely here,” I said, turning my face away from the camera and toward the shaded window. But you could still see my extraordinary profile. “I hope you’ll come and keep me company.” Wistful but inviting. As directed.
“You see,” I said as I walked back toward the seat I’d originally been in, “I’m just like you. And I want to know you and learn your secrets. I’ll tell you mine. All of them. I promise.”
“Wrap it up,” Claude said. I could hear the arrow of satisfaction in his breathing voice.
I leaned forward and put my right hand on my left shoulder—a look that became a kind of cliché as it was imitated so many very times.
With my free hand I fingered the tube of lipstick lying on the vanity table in front of me. The camera had changed to show not just my face but the tabletop as well.
“You’re killing it,” Claude said. “Five . . . four . . .”
“Until our very next,” I said just as he got to “one.”

 

Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Apple

 

About R.T.W. Lipkin:

 

R. T. W. Lipkin lives in New York with her husband and three cats. Her genre-defying novels occur at the intersection of science fiction and fantasy, with mystery, romance, and adventure threaded throughout.

 

Website | Amazon author page

 


No comments:

Post a Comment