Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Interview with Warren A. Shepherd, author of Sex, Bugs & UFOs



Today it gives the Speculative Fiction Showcase great pleasure to interview Warren A. Shepherd, whose debut novel Sex, Bugs and UFOs came out on July 17.


What inspired the title Sex, Bugs and UFOs, and what does it tell us about the plot?


The title of the book is a playful spin on the old phrase, Sex, Drugs & Rock ’n Roll. People might be disappointed to find this sci-fi adventure does not, in fact, focus on extra-terrestrial erotica, although ‘sex’ is a recurring theme, both the biological aspects and the carnal. And of course, being a story set in outer space, there have to be aliens, or more colloquially, Bugs. As for UFOs, what kind of dreamer would I be if I didn’t allow for the possibility of such fantastic craft. Hopefully, the title teases just enough without revealing too much, and sets the tone for what I hope will be a rollicking, star-tripping, science fiction adventure that launches the reader a hop, skip and a hyperspace jump across the galaxy!


As a child, you moved from London, England to Toronto, Canada. How has that influenced you in writing this book and its theme of alien visitors?


First and foremost, my novel explores the feelings of alienation, literally and figuratively. The genesis of the book was a single line: “It was Wednesday, and Morrissey was still on the wrong planet.” It encapsulated the feelings of isolation and alienation I felt when I came to Canada from England at the age of seven, one foot in both worlds but belonging in neither. Teased by both my family for trying to adapt to my new surroundings, and by the locals for sounding different than them, I became a chameleon, living a double life to blend in with both respective groups. God only knows what that did to my psyche, but it made me a keen observer of humankind, a trait which I have consistently applied to my writing, hopefully adding a verisimilitude to the characters and grounding their otherworldly surroundings in reality. The protagonist of my book is very much a fish out of water and takes that trope to the extremes. Perhaps his journey to find his place in the universe will act as a catharsis for me. I guess we’ll have to see!


Your protagonist, David Morrissey, moves from Yorkshire to London, where he is bullied at school. Tell us about Morrissey. Who is he?


Morrissey is not your typical swashbuckling hero. Moulded by a childhood trauma, he keeps his secrets mostly to himself, observing the world through a keen analytical lens in the hopes that he can one day make sense of his past so that he may give purpose to his future. When he becomes caught in an intergalactic mystery, all he thought he understood about his world is turned on its head, and he must break out of his protective cocoon in order to survive his new reality.


In the blurb, Morrissey is described as a former UFO investigator. Was he a private detective or something more official (but top-secret)?


Morrissey’s UFO Hotline department existed under the umbrella of the British Ministry of Defence. And while the job title certainly does sound cool and exciting, the reality was a lot less glamorous. Little more than a glorified customer service rep, he basically acted as a buffer between the government and the public, vetting panicked calls from the sad, the lonely, and often the desperate. His motives for entering into such a field are best left explained in the book.


The event that precipitates the narrative is a cold case, but the death of an old woman in a nursing home makes it a hot case. How is Morrissey drawn into the investigation?


Every hero needs a nemesis. And even on the lower rungs of the British government ladder, you’ll find a snivelling weasel trying to climb over you to get one step closer to the top. Let’s just say that Morrissey has an encounter with a former colleague who isn’t above using some unscrupulous methods to get him to do what he wants.


Tell us something about the shifty tabloid journalist who comes to his aid.


I can’t give away too much about Barry Skinner beyond what’s in the book blurb — a “shifty tabloid journalist with surprising insights into all things otherworldly”. What I can tell you is that he was modelled on the talented Stephen Merchant (Actor/writer/director) both in mannerisms and appearance. If ever a TV or movie adaptation of my book is made, I’d love for him to star!


Morrissey seems to have a long list of antagonists who want to do nasty things to him: an unstable UFO conspiracy theorist, a cunning galactic bounty hunter, and a vicious terrorist with designs on his DNA. Who are these characters and what are they after?


I’m afraid there is absolutely no way to answer this without revealing too much.


The story sounds humorous but tinged with melancholy. Morrissey is abandoned by his mother at age seven and feels somewhat lost himself. Why is that?


Real life is full of contradictions, often within the same sentence — joy one moment, sadness the next. Without pain, you wouldn’t recognize pleasure. Without hate, there would be no thrill of love. And without evil, good can never shine. Morrissey’s life is no exception. His childhood trauma shapes him and charts him down an inevitable path of discovery. But it is sometimes on those darkest roads when one relies on humour to light the way.


The tagline is “In space, no-one can hear you whinge”. Of course it’s a riff off the famous Alien tagline - but there’s a difference! Tell us more...


It’s absolutely intended to evoke the iconic tagline from Alien. But the difference should infuse a sense of whimsy, with lashings of the irreverent thrown in for good measure. Hopefully, it will give the potential reader a taste of what they’re in store for.


The story has echoes of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Sex, Bugs and UFOs seems to share its atmosphere of wry, self-deprecatory humour. Was that the effect you were looking for?


Douglas Adams has been an influence on my life from childhood. Indeed, when I began writing the book, I had the nerve to think I could emulate the style of his iconic works, injecting my words with a similar flavour and tone. But as I continued to write, the story morphed into a more serious adventure, albeit with serious helpings of my own humour woven throughout. It was through this evolution that I discovered my true writing voice. 


Is this kind of humour quintessentially British - and Canadian?


That’s hard to say; I can’t really speak to Canadian humour. Although I was raised in Canada and am grateful for all the opportunities it has given me, I still count myself as British (as I’m still a citizen). Raised on a healthy diet of Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder and the like, I’ve been heavily influenced by their deft mix of intelligence and wit, something I can only hope to aspire to. Modern day comedy idols include the brilliant Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant and their indelible contributions. They have this incredible knack of seamlessly blending humour and pathos in a way that epitomizes real life, all without jarring the audience. I like to think that my work exhibits those same characteristics, but humour is necessarily subjective and ultimately, each reader will judge accordingly.


Morrissey finds himself leaving this planet as his quest takes him into space. How much can you tell us about where he goes and what he finds?


Nothing. Absolutely nothing. At least not without giving too much away. The only thing I can say is, “be careful what you wish for.”


Will there be a sequel?


Absolutely! I’m working on it as we speak (tentative title: “It Takes An Alien”). The plan is for this story arc to span three books (the final book to possibly be called, “To Catch An Alien”). Beyond that, there is potential for The Continuing Adventures of The Lone Monkey! There’s even a chance that certain characters from this world could get their own spinoff series. I’d be interested to hear reader speculation on which characters that might be!


Have you any favourite authors or books?


As previously mentioned, my biggest influence was Douglas Adams. His blend of humour, satire, and intelligence is something that is easy to appreciate, yet hard to replicate. Which is why I gave up trying and found my own voice. But I have been heavily influenced by authors outside the sci-fi genre, as well. I’ll never forget the first time I read “Marathon Man” by William Goldman. I was captivated by the way he deftly spun two seemingly disparate tales, each thrilling in their own right, eventually tying them together into one satisfyingly cohesive narrative. I was instantly struck by the power words can have if wielded with confidence, patience and style.


Does the novel have its own soundtrack? 


HA! It’s funny you should ask. My original plan was to have each chapter title be part of a song lyric, giving a subtle hint to the reader of what lay beyond, hopefully triggering an a-ha! moment when they finished the chapter. But as soon as I realized that I’d have to pay hefty royalty fees for the use of even a short excerpt, I knocked that idea on the head. Some of the lines I had in mind (I hope I can use them here without incurring any penalties!): From Beyoncé’s Bootylicious: “I don’t think you’re ready for this jelly.” From Squeeze: “Hop, Skip and a Jump.” From LL Cool J’s Mama Said Knock You Out: “I'm gonna take this itty bitty world by storm, and I'm just gettin’ warm.” From Elvis Costello’s Peace Love and Understanding: “Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.” From The Happy Mondays’ Step On: “You're twistin' my melon man.”


That gives you some idea of what could have been…


Mirror World Publishing | Amazon US | Amazon CA | Indigo/Kobo | Barnes & Noble


About Warren A. Shepherd:




Warren A. Shepherd was seven when he first realized the world didn’t fit him quite right. Two sizes too big or two sizes too small, he couldn’t be sure. But having been transported from the streets of London, England to the streets of Toronto, Canada at such a young age left him with a profound sense of alienation — a boy with one foot in each world yet belonging in neither. The experience, however, did sharpen his sense of self-awareness and made him a keen observer of the human (and not-so-human) condition.

When he sees what humankind is capable of, both the good and the bad, he imagines how we would cope amongst the stars and is driven to tell stories of strange new worlds to try to explain the one that he often cannot.

After all, it takes an alien to know an alien…



Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Goodreads


2 comments:

  1. Well spoken young man is Warren Shepherd , hid way with words and humor made this book an enjoyably good read. I looke forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you "Anonymous", for your kind words about my book AND for the liberal use of the term, "young". I'm glad you enjoyed my sci-fi adventure and I hope I don't disappoint with the sequel. But how can you go wrong with Space Pirates! All the best.

      Delete