Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Feral Episodes 1 and 2: Her Eyes Match the Sky and The Mark by P.J. Post

Release date: August 16, 2015
Subgenre: Post-apocalyptic, dystopian, romance

About Her Eyes Matched the Sky

 

This romance brought to you by the end of the world...She was looking forward to her junior year of high school, obsessing about prom, getting her driver's license and maybe even meeting her first boyfriend, but September finds her on the run, from the bombings, from looters and much, much worse.

No more homecoming.

No more homeroom.

No more home.

The United States of America is dying, dragging civilization down with it. No electricity, no cars, no phones, no infrastructure, nothing but anarchy remains. The survivors, families and struggling communities are migrating west, away from the invading armies. Some are praying for the lights to come back on, but others are embracing the New World Order, living for today and taking what they need, but mostly, what they want.

Among them are the orphaned children, scraping by in the shadows with fewer and fewer surviving the cold nights of the approaching winter. But they don't have to be the forgotten generation.

All they need is a leader.

And she's found him. If she can keep him alive, they may all have a chance.

Excerpt:

 

I walk over to the side of the foyer, out of sight of the street people and lean against the flowered wallpaper near the front door, next to one of those framed needle-points: We may not have it all together, but together, we have it all.  I keep an eye on the kid as I pull out a cigarette and light it with a wooden grocery store match.
The sun peeks through the trees and casts long shadows across the street.  The light is creeping over what’s left of the wood living room floor.
“Seriously, go,” the kid says again.  He’s relentless, but I’ve already made up my mind. 
Life and death isn’t anything more than a coin flip, but come hell or high-water, this one’s going to live.
I toss my backpack over one shoulder and pull the .45 from the front pocket.  I casually point it toward the kid and motion with it to the street.  “Come on, I’m not going to leave you here by yourself.  Let’s go find something to eat.”
“With you?” he asks in an unexpectedly dismissive tone.
“Who else?”
“I don’t need you,” he says, fading further back into the eroding shadows.
“The hell you don’t.  Look kid, you’ve been lucky so far.  Winter’s coming and it’s only a matter of time until…”  I point the .45 out toward the mob.  “It’s all gone.  Everything is fucking gone.  Soon, they’re going to start taking what they want.  It’s going to be like nothing you can imagine.  Sorry, kid, I hate to say this, but it’s time to grow the fuck up.”
“I can take care of myself…”
“You can’t take care of shit.  Do you even have a weapon?”
“Please go…”  His voice breaks.
“Are you crying?  What the fuck, kid?”
“No, I’m not, please…”  He is crying, but trying like hell to hide it.
Tough kid.
“I need to go to the bathroom,” he says.
“Piss?  So hurry up and piss.”  This is a lot of drama.
I turn away and concentrate on my cigarette as I watch the crowd continue to grow.  “Seriously, we need to go.  Crowds are dangerous.”  I turn back to see the kid on his feet.
The jerky barrel of a chrome revolver is no more than three inches from my face, aimed with dirty shaking hands.
“You mean a weapon like this?” he says, unable to keep the venom from his voice.
Now that the kid is out of the shadows, he’s not as young as I thought, maybe about my age, give or take.  The long, heavy leather coat is at least three sizes too big.  He’s got a ratty wool scarf wrapped around his face, covering everything except his eyes and a black beanie over his head.  Muddy jeans and small, worn basketball sneakers show from under the dull-brown leather coat.
But the most interesting thing is — he’s not even a he.
Big, teary, cornflower blue eyes surrounded by long, dark lashes are staring up at me.
I feel like I’ve been slapped.
Her eyes are so, so blue, so clear, so innocent…
I didn’t know I could still feel like this.  I thought I was over compassion; thought it was buried in a shallow grave somewhere back East, along with my guilt and regret.


Amazon


Release date: September 14, 2015
Subgenre: Post-apocalyptic, dystopian, YA romance

About The Mark:


This romance brought to you by the end of the world...

He was just a teenager, hollow and lost, looking to keep the past buried, to forget. Surviving wasn't so much an instinct as it was a hobby. He surfs the backwash of the westward migration across a dead America; a war-torn desolation devoid of electricity, infrastructure and civilization.

It has become a strange and unrecognizable land, rife with the worst of humanity. And his was a life without hope, equally dark and solitary.

Until he meets Emily; until he meets Feral.

Once was boy, selfish and directionless.

Now is love.

Now is reason.

Now is vengeance.

They are his vow, his purpose, and to save them, he'll murder the world.

Author's Note: Feral is an ongoing serialized story. Episode 3, Of One Skein, is coming soon.

Excerpt:

 

“What?” she asks from the middle of shop.  She shakes her head, dismissing me and turns away, but then stops and slowly looks at me again, like maybe she senses my daydream, my longing.
I feel guilty and look away.  “Nothing, just…nothing.”  I start kicking the piles of boxes, trying and failing at not being jealous of Kyle goddamn Bledsoe, what a dick.
“There’s got to be something useful here,” I shout in frustration.
“Want to get high?  We got bongs?” Feral laughs.
“Tease.”
“How would you know?” she asks with that defiant and accusatory tone of hers.
“I can tell.  I bet you were a cheerleader or some kind of rah-fucking-rah go-team-go do-gooder chick.”
“I could have sworn we already covered this — you don’t know anything about me.  And call me a chick one more time and I’ll suffocate you with my pom-poms.”
“What’s the opposite of a fate worse than death?” I ask, grinning.
“What does that mean?”
“Death by pom-poms might not be so bad, well, not your pom-poms anyway…”
“I’m trying to decide if you’re being charming or a pig.  I’m going with pig,” she says with mock disgust.
“Seriously, you were one of the cool kids, right?”
“Like I said…”
“I don’t know anything, yeah, I heard you the first ten times and I still think you’re full of shit.”
“Why do you think I was popular?”
“They way you talk, like I said, you’re a tease.”
“You should ask Kyle about that,” she says, winking.
“What’s a tease?” Emily asks.
“Now you’ve done it, explain that one ass…hat,” Feral finishes, grinning as she pulls her goggles off.
“Ass-hat?” Emily repeats.
Feral laughs, but I’m thinking about beating the shit out of someone I’ve never met, for something that probably didn’t even happen, in like, eighth grade.  If there was any doubt before, it’s all cleared up now — I’m bat-shit crazy.
Fucking Kyle.
He knew her before.
Lucky son of a bitch.
Emily plops down on the orange couch and stabs her knife into the cushion next to her like it’s nothing.
But it is.
It’s wrong.
It’s sobering.
“Keep looking,” I say again, sourly.
Feral nods and pushes through the debris to the check-out counter and starts pulling out drawers and opening cabinet doors.
I get back to kicking boxes along the walls.  I’m guessing the ones with shit in them won’t move.
Besides the bongs, there are ripped ponchos, post cards scattered everywhere and other worthless crap piled around, broken candles, incense and lots of those empty knife and decorative weapons boxes.  Somewhere out there in the vast post-apocalyptic wasteland are gangs that smell like apple-rose patchouli, armed with Klingon battle axes or whatever they’re called, blunt Katanas and child-proof throwing stars.
Jesus Christ, the end of the world is a fucking comic book convention gone horribly wrong.

 

Amazon

 

About P.J. Post:

 

P.J. Post grew up during the Punk revolution of the early 80's and writes dark, character-driven coming of age stories that capture the anger, angst and especially the romance of that time.
Got rage?

Website | Facebook

 

No comments:

Post a Comment