Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Jane Bond: Dark Side of the Moon (Jane Bond, Book 2) by V.R. Tapscott

Release date: June 25, 2019
Subgenre: Adventure Science Fiction

About Jane Bond: Dark Side of the Moon:

 

In this sequel to Jane Bond, Jane finds some very interesting things in the basement left behind when Kit went away. Among them is a fully operational space ship.

Of course, the catch is, how can Jane fly it? Once Jane overcomes that hurdle, she and her friends are on the way again - and a new friend by the name of Olive comes along to pilot the ship - and make pancakes.

Who knew pancakes were so important!

But - will pancakes be enough to deal with what lies on the Dark Side of the Moon?

 

Excerpt:

 

“Do you pilot the ship like Kit did?”
Just a tiny bit of snark, “No, I don’t blow things up and crash.” A pause, then, “Sorry. That wasn’t very nice. And yes, I can pilot the ship. I have all the notes and ... um ... “
“You don’t know how to pilot the ship?”
“Of course I know how to pilot the ship!” With that, the ship rose off the ground and hit the ceiling with a solid whack.
“Olive! What are you doing?”
“I’m piloting the ship! What do you think?”
“I think you’re hitting the ceiling of the garage and you’re gonna break something!”
In a chagrined tone of voice, “Oh. Well. I didn’t know that was there. Hang on ... “
After a couple minutes of hanging there in the air, pressed up against the ceiling, it suddenly vanished, and the ship popped out into the sunshine. And then, Olive yelled “Yahoo!!” and we took off up into the sky at about a million miles an hour. We went through a flock of seagulls and Lucy. You know, the one with diamonds. I sat there, petrified, while the sky got bluer and bluer.
Pretty soon I yelled, “Olive, the air’s getting thin out here and I need to breathe!”
“Oh, sorry, I’m a little busy. Um. Hang on.”
I wasn’t very happy about “hang on” when I was starting to have a harder and harder time breathing. Pretty soon though, I could see a difference in the shade of the light, and it got easier to take a breath again.
After a little bit longer, a slightly frantic voice, “I have no idea how to stop! Sorry. Going through notes.”
The ship really seemed to hit its stride after we rammed through the top of the atmosphere and I sat on my hands to keep from chewing my nails off as we rocketed toward the moon. As we got closer, I started eyeing various places in the Sea of Tranquility wondering if any of them were softer than others.
Just about the time I decided I’d be seeing Neil Armstrong’s footyprints up close and personal, we slammed to a stop. I mean, a dead stop. Instantly. It was weird.
Olive said, “Hey, I found the controls to stop!”
I swallowed. “I see that. Is that the Apollo 11 Lunar Module over there?” I pointed out the window to the left.
Indifferently. “Yeah, I guess so. Want to see it closer?”
Without waiting she whisked over next to the spacecraft and I took a good look, snapping a few shots with my phone. My mouth was still a little dry at the thought of us stopping about ten feet short of making another crater in the moon. A big one.

 

Amazon Kindle | Paperback

 

About V.R. Tapscott: 

 

It seems like I've been writing forever in some way, shape or form. 

However, most of my real experience comes from role playing in World of Warcraft. That may seem a strange place to learn how to write, but that isn't the case at all. 

Visualize having to always know what to say, instantly, and be in character saying it. Now visualize doing this for 1-4 hours a day for months and years. 

What it does is eliminate the need to think when writing. You instinctively know how this character will react since you've been trained over hundreds and hundreds of hours of spontaneous improvisation. I always know what she's going to say, since she is me. I am her. After all, we all know what we're going to say, or we find out immediately after having said it. Sometimes to our chagrin.

And I've found that this carries over into writing on digital paper. Or at least it appears to. I suppose my readers will decide if it's a fun read, or a boring load of tripe. 

But let me know either way. :-) 

 

Website | Facebook

 

No comments:

Post a Comment