Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Broomstick (Hawthorne University Witch, Book 1) by A.L. Hawke

Release date: April 28, 2020
Subgenre: Paranormal romance

About Broomstick:

 

I used to not believe in witches.

Until I enrolled in Dr. Alondra Johansen’s metaphysical history class. Bryce, Alondra’s super cute teaching assistant, told me my element sign is Earth. I am, in fact, a pragmatic sort of girl. My name is Cadence Hawthorne, but you can call me Katie.

Darkness fell over me and my family during my sophomore year. I thought maybe Alondra could help me with my grief and visions of ghosts. But there was this guy working with her, with a goatee and sardonic smile, who looked more like the devil than a professor. He did terrible things to my best friend, threatening my growing love for Bryce.

Do you believe in ghosts? How ‘bout witches? I do. See, it was at Hawthorne University that I learned all about them. Come take a look in my grimoire. I wrote it all down here in Broomstick.

Content warning: Broomstick is a new adult college paranormal romance containing profanity, sexual scenes, adult situations, and, of course, witchcraft.

 

Excerpt:

 

To say that I’m not nervous would be stupid. I’m sitting on one of Alondra’s elegant white leather sofas, staring at the flat-screen TV on the wall. There’s nothing on, but there’s also no one to talk to at the moment. I’m by myself, tapping my knees and waiting. And that’s making me more nervous. Meanwhile, every so often, one of the ladies from the coven walks by, gives me a nod, opens the sliding door, and takes something outside. They’re preparing for some kind of outdoor event, and that’s weird because it’s cold and raining outside.

Every one of the girls is wearing a long black cape and short black dress. I’m not. I’m in a white sweater and jeans.

I cross one leg over another. Then I switch legs and stare at the elegant stone chimney. Then I cross the other leg back again, fidgeting with my fingers.

One of the members, Tammy—the pretty black girl with long hair like me—hands me a glass of red wine. I get up and smile. “I know it’s a bit weird, Cadence, but we’ll be done soon,” she says with a wink. “Just sit tight, ’kay?”

“You sure there’s nothing I can do to help?”

“Not unless you know how to brew cauldrons.”

I laugh, but it’s not really funny. Still, I like Tammy. She’s a lot like me. And I suppose she’s prone to saying funny things at inopportune moments too.

The wine tastes good. It’s very smooth.

Tammy rushes back to the kitchen. I can hear them murmuring. I wonder if they’re talking about me. Probably.

I need to pee. But I’m tired of getting up and using the restroom. I have a bad habit of having to pee when I’m nervous.

Then Mira comes in. She’s wearing exactly the same black dress and cape as the others. She seems friendlier than ever and reaches out to me with both hands, signaling that I should rise. I feel really weird but I get up.

“When it stops raining, we’re going to go outside, Katie,” Mira says. Her auburn eyes are staring at mine. “It’s cold, but the cloak will warm you. And when we go to the service, the fire is warm enough. Why don’t you finish your wine so you’ll be more relaxed? The rain will stop soon, and then you’ll know we’re ready.”

“It’s going to stop raining?”

“Yes. In another fifteen minutes.”

That’s where all the magic starts, right? Now they can control the weather?

Maddie rescues me. She walks in holding a wineglass too. “I’m so excited for you, Kate!” she says. Mira backs away and sits on a furry chair beside the fireplace. “You nervous?”

“Nah.” Of course I’m nervous. I’m terrified and Maddie knows it.

She sits beside me and pats my knee. “Things might get a little weird, Cadence. But you’ll be fine. Trust me, right?”

“Yeah.”

“She’ll help you along.”

“Just ignore Dr. Reardon,” Mira chimes in.

“Why?” I ask.

“He’s a sick fuck,” Mira says. I’m shocked by her language, particularly since I saw Dr. Reardon a few minutes ago in his black cape, helping out in the kitchen with my to-die-for boyfriend. “His ideas are exactly what you’re afraid of, Cadence.”

“Even he will help you,” says Maddie. She scowls at Mira.

 

Amazon

 

About A.L. Hawke:

A.L. Hawke lives in Southern California torching the midnight candle over lovers against a backdrop of machines, nymphs, magic, spice and mayhem. With a medical science background, the author specializes in romantic fantasy and science fiction. 
 

Website | BookBub | Goodreads | Author Central | Newsletter

 

No comments:

Post a Comment