Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Code Monkey by A.E. Williams

Release date: June 26, 2020
Sub-genre: Science Essays, Humor

About Code Monkey:


THAT IS ONE ANGRY MONKEY!

A.E. Williams opines on more matters of concern to thinking people, philosophers and chicken farmers.

CODE MONKEY follows the trajectory set by ROCKET SURGEON, as A.E. Williams opens up a can of whoop-ass on science, technology, politics and religion. Yeah, all those uncomfortable subjects that polite people eschew during cocktail party banter are just gristle for the mill as far as Williams is concerned.

Rocket Surgeon was just the first stage! Code Monkey ramps it up with a second-stage-to-orbit collection of articles, essays and unpublished works that will leave you shocked, aghast and rolling on the floor laughing.

Follow irascible raconteur, voyeur and mental saboteur A.E. Williams down a whole slew of rabbit holes, conspiracy theories, discussions about the fallacies and truth of the challenges of our times! You’ll discover why Williams is one of the most sought-after essayists on the planet. (Sought after by aliens, Sasquatch, sea serpents and hackers, that is…)

Once more, A.E. takes you by the hand and shoves facts, figures and statistics up your…nose, until you are spitting mad at finding out you have been duped all this time by Big Brother, the Deep State, the Man, the Establishment and even your lying parents! (Oh, for the sake of Santa! How could you!)

Williams regales you with personal tales from the aerospace trenches. He shows why firmly held ‘scientific’ facts are just as suspect as ‘truths’ that have been debunked, time and again. You’ll be cramming your tinfoil hat past your ears as you are exposed to the grim secrets of how the world REALLY works!

And, as always, you’ll chuckle and chortle your way through page after page of outrageous stories, anecdotes and observations by the man Cleopatra* said was “So funny I laughed my asp off!”

Get your copy TODAY and join the ranks of computer-literate primates who have gone bananas over riots, COVID19 and all the troubles in the world that have you praying for the Second Coming, World War 3 or a long-overdue asteroid strike!

*Cleopatra Jones works as a hair stylist in Roanoke, Va.  


Excerpt:


ADULTING

In March 2019 I attended another AirShow in Titusville, with my daughter. This time, she was accompanied by her fiancé, and some of his work friends. This time, there was not a corresponding SpaceX launch scheduled. There had been a problem, when the escape devices for the Dragon capsule had detonated and spread debris all over the launch area.

But, this time, my daughter had a larger perspective, I would imagine. 

Her fiancé and I book-ended this project. 

I mean, I don’t know what he does there, but I know he is in software development, so maybe his team had contributed something to the effort. I had been there at the inception of the program, and now he had picked up some virtual torch, I suppose.

I did get a lot more respect, I felt, this time around, because I knew a LOT about the parameters and capabilities of the plane.

When it basically stood on its tail, hovering in the air, it was old news to me. Hell, Harriers were doing that a long time ago.

But, to these kids, seeing a plane hover like that was almost magical.

Only, they took it for granted, just as they did the supercomputer videophones they carried around, taking Instapics or Snapphotos or whatever they have now. This was a generation that literally grew up with technologies I had only imagined at their age.

And, it was wonderful to behold, as the F-35 arced off into the sky, only to return a bit later with a P-51 Mustang in tow.

The juxtaposition was not lost on me. I was a P-51, where once I was an F-35.

Getting old has its rewards, but just then, I wanted to travel back to when I was a younger man, excited to see things the rest of the world wouldn’t see for many years. That entire nostalgia thing, right?

And, once more, I was given another lesson in Relativity.

See, I was watching these events unfold through the eyes of experience.
The same dangers that were present a year ago, at the earlier Air Show were still here.

I have written about risk in ‘Rocket Surgeon.’ It’s a factor that cannot be escaped in the world of aerospace. But, this time, these children of technology also were beginning to understand just why, despite all of the risks, we pursue these elusive and incredibly difficult goals. I watched their faces as the strong Florida sun hit us, baking the airfield. I saw the others in the crowd nodding their heads as the announcer recited bald facts. I smiled along with them with the realization that America was getting greater – at least in some small way.

At the end of the day, we walked back to our car, and waited, along with all the other techno-pilgrims, to exit this place of miracles. The F-35 and the P-51 had since departed, but every time a helicopter or other aircraft passed by, they, too, craned their heads to catch a glimpse of the future.

Their future…

I spoke with my daughter a while later. She’s gotten her degree and was thinking about going to grad school, and her soon-to-be mother-in-law was probably going to be moving in with them. She was optimistic about it, but said that ‘adulting’ was a lot harder than it looked.

I had to grin.

I remember the trials and tribulations of my life, and how many times things were bleak, and times they were great, and all the while we just keep on floating through space on this fragile spaceship we inhabit.

Today’s generation seems hell-bent on fixing things that may be unfixable. 
Or, maybe they aren’t even problems at all…

But I have great hope that they will grow into their roles as stewards of our planet, and maybe not be as ready to get into useless wars, or pollute the environment to the degree which their forefathers felt was acceptable.

Because, I saw the future when I was young. 

And, lo and behold, many of the miracles have indeed come to pass.

I still want a jetpack, though.

A.E. Williams is running a special on Code Monkey beginning on July 28, for five days. It's a Kindle countdown, with the initial price at $.99 and the final reverting to the current price of $5.99 on August 2.



About A.E. Williams:



A.E. Williams has a unique background of military experience, aerospace engineering and intelligence analysis. He has a varied career, from inventor to consultant, and pretty much everything in between.

Born near Pittsburgh, A.E. Williams is man of a mystery.

As a young man, Williams served the United States government in various capacities, which he then followed with fifteen years as a consultant. Williams currently resides in rural Central Florida.

He does his writing at night, usually accompanied by a bottle of Maker's Mark bourbon and a large supply of Classic Dr. Pepper and ice.  

Website | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment