Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Lacey & Alex: The Dagger of Ill Repute by V.R. Tapscott

Release date: June 25, 2020
Sub-genre: LGBT Fantasy

About Lacey & Alex: The Dagger of Ill Repute:


Lacey & Alex, roommates in San Francisco, are a barista and a cook by day. By night though, Lacey is a part time private investigator and Alex talks to plants. And they talk back.

In this book, they get dragged into hunting for a lost dagger. Of course, it winds up being so much more than simply a lost dagger.

The pair spend a couple of action-filled weeks travelling from San Francisco to Los Angeles, Barstow to Vegas and all parts between in their hunt for the elusive artifact.

They meet up with loose cannon Stevie and step it up a notch with exploding cars and tension of a whole other kind, as she makes it clear what she thinks of Lacey.

Olive from "Jane Bond" shows up with a little tiny insignificant part (heh) and Jane herself has a cameo.

Join Lacey & Alex and Stevie as they have the adventure of a lifetime! Talking plants, explosions, gunfire, mayhem, magic and a little bit of romance all enter the picture before the end, in this slightly humorous, slightly serious, and always fun mystery.

Excerpt:


I shrugged. “Well, it says in here that she’s an excellent marksman, black belt in karate and a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, and not only that, she has her CPA.”

“What does that mean?”

“I guess she does her own taxes?”

Alex slugged me. Pretty hard. “You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, of course. But since she mentioned that she was in computers, it didn’t sound like she was counting computers, it was more like programming or monitoring or maintenance. Doesn’t it say in there someplace?” I pointed to the hated document.

Alex picked her phone back up like it was hot, or possibly covered in slime. She read for a few minutes (the thing was pages long) and then commented, “Well, she’s an expert in cyber warfare as well. Looks like she trained in cyber defense at Purdue, I guess that accounts for her being able to hack into whatever she wanted to. Probably including the child’s play of the battery cut-off in the Vette.”

I mused over that for a few minutes. “Maybe we can get her to help? I mean, it’s not like she’s being gross or anything. It’s all pretty stylish, and if I was in the mood for a girlfriend, this might actually be attractive.”

“Attractive? Are YOU nuts? This just drips of Fatal Attraction. Watch for polyester bunnies arriving.”

I didn’t mention to Alex that the vision of Douglas and Close in the bathroom scene had been the first thing that went through my head.


About V.R.Tapscott:


It seems like I've been writing forever in some way, shape or form. 

However, most of my real experience comes from role playing in World of Warcraft. That may seem a strange place to learn how to write, but that isn't the case at all. 

Visualize having to always know what to say, instantly, and be in character saying it. Now visualize doing this for 1-4 hours a day for months and years. 

What it does is eliminate the need to think when writing. You instinctively know how this character will react since you've been trained over hundreds and hundreds of hours of spontaneous improvisation. I always know what she's going to say, since she is me. I am her. After all, we all know what we're going to say, or we find out immediately after having said it. Sometimes to our chagrin.

And I've found that this carries over into writing on digital paper. Or at least it appears to. I suppose my readers will decide if it's a fun read, or a boring load of tripe. 

But let me know either way. :-) 

Website | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment