Monday, June 7, 2021

The Rogue Wolf (Mirrors in the Dark, Book 2) by K.T. Belt

 

Release date: June 8, 2021
Subgenre: Urban Fantasy,Space Opera

About The Rogue Wolf:

 

Billions dead, entire worlds under siege, and no end in sight.

The most destructive war in the history of the galaxy has arrived and every able-bodied man and woman is mobilized, save one. Carmen Grey has been released from the facility into an uncertain future. The young Clairvoyant can fly and read minds and has been trained since the age of six to do one thing and one thing only: kill. Yet Carmen struggles with an entirely different battle—how to ring up customers without them running away from her.

As she tries desperately to keep her life from falling apart, everything changes when someone close to her is swept into the conflict. Carmen vowed to never fight again, but she will have to rely on her best skill in a race against time. When everything is on the line, will she be able to stay good?


Excerpt:

 

“Edge, you forget why you’re here?” he asked as he turned to look back outside. His tone was even. Carmen didn’t know what to make of it. He already turned her down but had yet to tell her to leave, for what that was worth.

“Why am I here?”

Yet again, Gungnir said nothing. He surveyed the city and the grounds, his head turning slightly from side to side as his gaze leapt from feature to feature.

“Impressive, isn’t it?” he finally asked. Carmen couldn’t help but agree with a small nod. “I must admit most of the reason I chose this office was because of the view. It’s fitting.”

“How?” she asked simply.

He glanced at her over his shoulder. “Did you know that, eons ago, on Earth, people were afraid to go into the forests?”

“No.”

“It’s ridiculous, but they believed monsters and horrible beasts lived in the forests and other dark places.” He paused before he continued. “A war is raging, but if you haven’t noticed, none of that war is taking place here or on any world with a large Clairvoyant population. When the sortens or Eternals attack other worlds, they have to kill every last man, woman, and child to be certain they can hold the territory. That is why we are here. We are wolves,” he said, turning around. Behind him, Carmen could see the clouds break, once again covering the facility in the shadows of Haven City. “And we aren’t able to give pause to those who want to enter the forest if we aren’t vicious. More than that, we can never leave the forest, otherwise those taking refuge within it would be rendered defenseless.”

Carmen couldn’t help but think about her time with Janus and Kali, her thus far failed attempts at reaching Phaethon, and how much trouble she had with finding a job.

“And this has what to do with me and my problem?” she asked.

“As I said, you have no problem, since you are acting exactly as you were trained. It is not something I can really fix. I was trained similarly,” he said. “You said you need money. I can help you get that. But I can’t do anything to help with why you need money and can’t get it other than through people like me. Before you and I go any further, I want you to understand that.”

“It’s just a job. I don’t have any choice.”

“It’s not just a job, and there is always a choice,” Gungnir said.

Carmen looked at him hard and then said slowly, “I don’t have any choice.”


Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Apple | Google Play

 
 

About K.T. Belt:

Yup, I’m the evil guy keeping you up all night to read, “Just one more page.” A storyteller from birth, it was inevitable that I’d find my way to writing books. All of my works have a very strong focus on character and believable worlds.

Other than books, I’m a licensed pilot and certified jet nerd. I’m also interested in motorsports and a lover of the “sweet science.”

 

Website

No comments:

Post a Comment